Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1st Pavestone Patio

Well, after a few weeks of working only 3-4 hours a day ( I still work fulltime ) we got this patio done.

Granted,it was just labor, threw in a stone bed and 4 plants, I know I underbid it for the amount of time, learning, headaches and body aches.

I enjoyed doing it, we dug alot of crap out and got a good solid base. I know now what I should do the next time, and what I shouldn't have done this time.

Take a look at the pics.

http://www.myspace.com/ajlawncare

It's under The KarlsPatio.

Thanks!

==Abe
Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

How about posting them here?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few of the pics.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These are a few more
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These are the last bit that I have. I think there is more on the website.

The customer is extremely happy with the job, and we ended up getting his landscaping also out of it!

Hopefully he talks, and we get more business in the neighborhood.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Please tell me you did'nt do the white rock?....or the patio for that matter...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

It was your first time, so I'm not gonna rag too hard. A few things I noticed though.

1. Not enough overbase. Give yourself a half foot extra on every side for stabilization purposes.

2. Might want to try edge restraint, especially since there is no interlock to the pattern.

3. On your next job, don't use this material. It's dated and looks like it came from Wal-Mart.

4. If you must use this in a portfolio, at least pressure wash the house....looks dirty...when and if you get another paver job, remove this from portfolio and replace.

5. If you must use stone...go river jack instead of white marble chips

6. Put more thought into the landscaping...looks unbalanced, has no color and will leave an empty bed in the winter.

7. God I hope you don't give out your Myspace page as your website to customers!

8. Edge you beds deeper. The runoff from the deck will wash those stones all over the grass.

Overall.....if you got paid, good for you. If your customer's happy....good for you. If you learned from the experience...great. If you think this is a killer patio and was tough to install.....then you should just stick to lawn care! In my humble opinion.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

I did put edge restraints around the patio, it is locked in. Since I got the landscaping also, I will be washing the house when we go back, and putting another layer of sand to fill the voids between the bricks.

The materials were already bought by the customer from Home Depot, so I used what I had to work with. The base is about 6" over where the pavers end.

I quite thoroughly enjoyed this project. The pictures were taken with 5 minutes to spare before we had to run to our full-time jobs.

The white stone was requested by the customer. Same with the plants. Pampas Grass and Azaleas do look nice when they start to grow. The bed is edged 4" deep. I tried to talk them into putting a paver edge, but they did not want it at this time. I will bring it up again when I go back to do the landscaping.

The customer sent the check the next day, and they are very happy with it. They then emailed me and stated they sat on the deck last evening and it was great. Also moved the furniture they bought for it for them, and was thanked.

This was a learning experience. I will do another one, and many more. I'm beginning to realize the market is great for this kind of work, and I want to get better at it.

And to boot, I don't have but 3 lawns to mow, because of this drought we're in. Since it rained the past few days, I hope to get some calls soon to do some lawn care.

Thanks guys.

==Abe
Old 08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some bad news for you (or anyone else) that uses WHITE MARBLE ROCKS in landscape beds.

DO NOT!!!! under any circumstances use WHITE MARBLE around evergreen or acid loving shrubs. You will kill the plants. That goes for Azalea's, Rhododendrons, Laurel, Holly, Ilex, Arborvitae, Junipers, or Pines. The list goes on and on. The dust from Marble is caustic. It works like limestone and will turn the soil very basic -High PH. Your plants will fade to a light green, and eventually yellow and die.