Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo SRM210 Weedeater

I have an Echo SRM 210 Weedeater. I can put a spark plug in and it will run fine for a short period and cut off. I then remove the plug and a small piece of what looks like buildup has gotten in between the firing area on the plug. I remove the small piece of buildup and reinsert the plug and it runs fine again for a short period and this same thing happens again. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? Sometimes it works for 30 minutes and sometimes only a few.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionMan View Post
I have an Echo SRM 210 Weedeater. I can put a spark plug in and it will run fine for a short period and cut off. I then remove the plug and a small piece of what looks like buildup has gotten in between the firing area on the plug. I remove the small piece of buildup and reinsert the plug and it runs fine again for a short period and this same thing happens again. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? Sometimes it works for 30 minutes and sometimes only a few.
No telling what it might be...open the gap a smidge or get a GLOW PLUG like for a boat motor
Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Remove the spark arrestor and are you using the Echo brand 2 stroke oil?

It also was probably some bad gas
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo Weedeater

I am not the most mechanically inclined. What is the spark arrestor?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionMan View Post
I have an Echo SRM 210 Weedeater. I can put a spark plug in and it will run fine for a short period and cut off.
VisionMan, couple things you can do. get your service manual out and see if you are USN the correct spark plug, I would suggest a NGK plug if you need to replace it. Make sure that you are mixing your oil/gas mix correctly
for your echo, 32/1 or 50/1 what ever that may be. Use a good mix oil, Echo has a good oil for Echo. Make sure there is a fuel filter on the fuel line in the tank and that your air filter is on correctly. Now if you want to dig alittle deeper, take the muffler off and look at the exhaust port, if it's not completely open, it needs to be cleaned out, if you don't feel like you can do this, take it to the dealer and have them do it. With out seeing the machine, I would be guessing that you have a carbon problem, either with a build up on the top of the piston that is flaking off, an incorrect spark plug or the mix is not correct, OR all of the above

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got 6 pieces of equipment with the same engine. Mine are used hard and put up wet. I know you dealer guys are gonna blast me, but with my experience, the best 2 cycle mix to use is available at Walmart.. It comes in the gallon jugs and is made for 2 cycle boat motors. Hey. If it's good enough for the big 2 cycle motors, it'll do just fine in the little 2 cycle ones. I've got a 210 trimmer that's 4 years old, commercial use. Other than plugs and filters, I've had no problems.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Run some sea foam in it for awhile.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

hey, if the walmart oil has been working for you great, stick with it.

But the saying if it works for big engines it should work on the little ones is way off. There are alot of different grades of 2 cycle oils, please go the the american petroleum institute (API) or JASO (japense oil std orginzation) to learn about the ratings and what they mean.

Outboard Boat 2 strokes are general low rpm (3000-7000) engines and sometimes oil injected or liquid cooled. (cooler running) All these usually require a little different oil for said application.

Our little 2 strokes are generally hi- rpm (7000-15,000) and air cooled (higher temps) requiring alot of protection from the oil and are generally the highest grade oils.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Wrong Oil

Your using the wrong oil. The stuff at Walmart is for water cooled two strokes. Pay a little extra and get the right oil. When I bought my echo the dealer told me to never run that in the engine or it will gum it up. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, get specifically oil made for Echo, the bottles are made by Echo, it says Echo on the bottle.

Although I run 'Stihl' oil in my srm-260s
But it has to be that kind of high grade oil.