Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2000, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone ever tried to use mentally handicapped? Tried it 12 years ago ,on theory that the more intelligent a person is, the more he holds himself above nature. Felt the handicapped would be able to keep their attention better on the mundane things of grounds maint. Struck gold on first try, but after a year and a half a normal friend of his convinced him that he was above the menial work. His attention to lawn during mowing meant any problem was brought to my attention. He even questioned the green circles around the holes under a tree, week after a chemlawn root feeding. And I didn't even notice it.<p>Best day was in mid-June, when everyone is ready to walk away from this business. Was teaching Tim all the flowering shrubs. Any new one was called a forsythia, because that was the first thing he learned; after he had seen a new one three times, he knew it. This day we were mowing a large property, and I was pressed as normal. Tim grabbed me and pulled me over to a mock orange, wanting to know what the flower was. Instant deflation - took this ******ed kid to remind me why I'm out here. Rest of week was the fun it should be.<p>There was a guy in SC ten years ago, had the largest landscape bsns in state, and it was run thru a county program for the ******ed. He trained them to be placed in local business. Also have seen a national group, at trade shows few years ago, that tries to get them into work with plants. In businesses that seek out the ******ed, turnover is very low.<p>Of course, question right away is how can they handle machinery? Well, Nim, the guy from SC, had placed a kid with the state hiway department, operating AND maintaining a front end loader. At home this kid couldn't tie his shoes. As usual, you tend to get what you expect.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>
Old 02-28-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

<br>Jim,<br>I likeyourthoughts on this. I do over $600.00 a week for a school for disabled adults, and I never thought to use one of the adults there. But you are right when you raise the question about their ability to handle machinery.
Old 02-29-2000, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgot to mention yesterday. Training is always a problem in any business. Especially in green industry, have to compromise production hours early in season to (hopefully) get someone new up to speed. In Indiana, there is a state program that pays a trainer's wages, when you hire ******ed. Your only cost is minimum wage to the ******ed individual you hire. State supplies a person to work full time or part time with hiree, however you are working him. Is usually best to start part time, so you can judge and build on attention span.<p>You do have to train the trainer to some degree. But you can begin with a very limited scope of work, so the trainer can be coached in short time. Same type program may be available in other states. Program even pays for accommodations on the job site to enable physically handicapped to work. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>