Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New business card > No Phone # - Only website (www)

Just made a change I've wanted to do for a long time. It will work out here in southern Oregon, or north. History is that 98% of the people who hire me have internet.

I just ordered my new business cards. Gold foil print on gloss green marble green cardstock.

Website address only - no phone number.

Most are made by Wes-tex with local printers as middlemen. I prefer to order through the local shop.

One site http://www.borderxpress.com/Otherglassx.htm shows the basic idea. I'm using the gold foil this time, on the green shown below. The wine stock on the page looks far better than it looks there. I almost chose the wine, but will stick with the green.

Anyhow, now that I have so much background on my website, my preference is for people to come to the website first.

We can always change this down the line, but I think it will work out fine. Especially once we get to the Portland area's west suburbs which are tech-ville.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dang, that would be nice.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Just made a change I've wanted to do for a long time. It will work out here in southern Oregon, or north. History is that 98% of the people who hire me have internet.

I just ordered my new business cards. Gold foil print on gloss green marble green cardstock.

Website address only - no phone number.

Most are made by Wes-tex with local printers as middlemen. I prefer to order through the local shop.

One site http://www.borderxpress.com/Otherglassx.htm shows the basic idea. I'm using the gold foil this time, on the green shown below. The wine stock on the page looks far better than it looks there. I almost chose the wine, but will stick with the green.

Anyhow, now that I have so much background on my website, my preference is for people to come to the website first.

We can always change this down the line, but I think it will work out fine. Especially once we get to the Portland area's west suburbs which are tech-ville.
I have thought of that for YP if I go with them again. Gets 100% of customers who prefer emailing you if no one else in your area has a website (no one here does)
Old 08-15-2007, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife suggested writing or stamping our phone number on just a few cards for people who may not have internet. I usually peel cards off the top of the stack in my dash board slot, or from the left side of the pocket in my wallet. So I can keep a few cards on the bottom of the one stack and on the right of the wallet pocket for the few exceptions.

The Yellow Page idea may be very good too. Sure, you may lose one or two who only have phone, but if the info is good on your site, you may pick up 6 that may not have gone with you if they didn't see your site first.

My next decision involved door hangers versus color flyers and whether to go with the website only, on those. But that's weeks away yet, so I can ponder.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh I think it's a good idea, get people to your website. They can get your phone number there, and also be enticed to look around.

Only thing is, I think that the marble background ones are pretty hard on the eyes.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brave move if you ask me, but you must be going for the higher end accounts, and trying to stay away from poor folks and old people hahahaha. Seriously, though I think that you will get some higher quality accounts, and it opens the door for across-the-board online payment/next day cc billing.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gave a try at a flyer with the same idea to see how it looks...

In a new thread.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are making a Big mistake. Your business card should have all of your contact information on it which includes a phone number.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
I think you are making a Big mistake. Your business card should have all of your contact information on it which includes a phone number.
You're in Virgina, right? You aware of where we are from, and moving back too? Hillsboro is like the silicon valley of north Oregon. Its a major hub of Intel. High tech is the main profession there. Beaverton is similar in a lot of respects. Nike's world headquarters is in Beaverton, and it seems that 2/3 of my Nike customers emailed me from work on first contact prior to estimates - before our first meeting. So that's the market I'm going to be expanding into again.

I'll take a new leap and see how it goes.

The best part is that I'm in control of the communication chain. With the phone number, people too often avoid information that would answer a lot of questions in advance. This way, that won't happen as much. They will drop right in on my services, license numbers, testimonials, etc..

If this was 70 years ago, I guess it would be like giving my phone number without providing smoke blanket symbols.

Last edited by mdvaden; 08-15-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

i think its a good idea to get good accounts

http://groundforcelawncare.com