Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjohnny View Post
By George, I think you got it! NOT,

I blocked my number from showing up on his caller ID. Believe me he wasn't on to me. I told him that my Dad is getting old and he can't do his lawn anymore. And that I want to hire someone to do it for him. I don't think that an LCO would be that smart to figure me out and jepordize his business and prices. That would be so stupid of him to assume that I was another company fishing for prices!
Plus even if I didn't block my caller ID my business name isn't on there. I blocked it because I don't want him to know my name and try and look it up to call me back. Now what?

Johnny

I don't even answer blocked calls. He knew you were fishing.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

they was just messing with you probably they was laughing after you hung up

http://groundforcelawncare.com
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Terror View Post
So...after you hung up, these guys are probably laughing to each other, saying...
LCO Guy #1: "It's that Johnny, from "Johnny's Lawn Care" calling again. He's trying to figger out how much to charge. Doesn't he know we can see his number on the caller I.D."
LCO Guy #2: "He's been calling here all the time too. Next time he calls, tell him we do lawns for $5 bucks now."
Also thats the shadiest way to start out. If you dont know how much you need to charge to make money in your business then maybe you should rethink this whole idea. Every business is diff what works for this dont work for that you have to find your own way,that makes you money.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$40 a month may happen and still be profitable if the lots are very very small, I see $50 around here all the time... I charge $24 a cut, we had 19 to cut today and we were done in 3 1/2 hours with a 3 person crew, I could do more if I had alot more customers in 1 neighborhood like would happen if they charged $40 or if there lots are smaller.... anytime I have 3 homes together I time it and were always done with all 3 in less then 20 minutes.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you folks always trim with every cut? Do you always have a helper doing the trim?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
Do you folks always trim with every cut? Do you always have a helper doing the trim?
Yes and yes. Sometimes not all areas need trimmed but we always trim at least part of the property.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

JOHNNY, I AM IN CORONA, BEEN IN BUSINESS HERE FOR 3 YEARS NOW, (LEGALLY). THE GUY OVER THE PHONE WAS NOT PULLING YOUR LEG, HE WAS SERIOUS. IT IS THE SAME FOR RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS, 98 PERCENT OF THE PEOPLE MOWING LAWNS HERE ARENT RUNNING A BUSINESS THEY ARE DOING THIS FOR A JOB SINCE THEY CANT GET A JOB ANYWHERE ELSE. WHY... BECAUSE THEY'RE ILLEGALS. THERE ARE PROBABLY 97 MEXICAN GUYS TO EVERY 3 WHITE GUYS OPERATING HERE. WHAT YOU WILL SOON REALISE IS THAT THERE ARE ONLY A HANDFULL OF PEOPLE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THAT WANT QUALITY SERVICE. THE OTHERS WANT A CHEAP PRICE. yOU AND I ARE SCREWED. WE WILL LOSE TO THE 4 DOLLAR AN HOUR BID ALLTHE TIME. I SPOKE WITH ONE OF THE ILLEGAL OPPERATIONS ONE DAY AND I ASKED HIM HOW HE SURVUVES OFF OF 4 DOLLARS AN HOUR. hE TOLD ME QUOTE(IN BROKEN UP ENGLISH OF COURSE) " i LIVE WITH MY WHOLE FAMILY IN ONE HOUSE I NEED ONLY 1000.00 A MONTH TO LIVE GOOD. I WORK CAUSE I NEED SOMETHING TO DO" tHIS IS OUR COMPETITION ! AN EXAMPLE OF WHERE I WAS UNDERBID... A COMMERCIAL PROPERTY FULLSERVICE , 1200.00 MONTH 2 GUYS WOULD SPEND PROBABLY 4 HOURS THERE, PRICE INCLUDED MANY MATERIALS. i WAS UNDERBID BY 600.00 DOLLARS. I DROVE BY TO LOOK AT THE PLACE AFTER THEY HAD TAKEN CARE OF IT AND IT WAS HACKED ALL TO BITS. ANYWAY, SORRY FOR THE LONG THREAD CALL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. LOOK ME UP IN THE CORONA CHAMBER WEBSITE
Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do and do not agree

I am not a Lawn Professional by trade.But I am a believer in a quality job.I use to hustle when I was in grade school mowing lawns in the neighborhood for $10.00 dollars in 1973 at the age of 12.They were anywhere from 1/4-1/3 an acre.I would spend a little over an hour mowing with a small amount of trimming by hand back then.What I am trying to say is most everyone here is against anyone including decent kids trying to make a few bucks.Quality work speaks for itself and normal customers do realize it.So you guys were never going to get the low-baller to begin with.There are alot of people out there that do exactly as Home Depot tells them to do with fertilizing,seeding ,etc and have beautiful lawns.So there is no "REAL" science to being a mowing contractor.You either make it or do not make it.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey look at this idiot! (http://orlando.craigslist.org/bfs/402958491.html). I actually sent him/her an email requesting more info on his/her services. I can't wait. Im going to bust his balls. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan06 View Post
Also thats the shadiest way to start out. If you dont know how much you need to charge to make money in your business then maybe you should rethink this whole idea. Every business is diff what works for this dont work for that you have to find your own way,that makes you money.
I know how much I want to charge! I know what my fixed expenses and variable expensed are! I know how to run a business! I ran a very successful business for last 15 years. I got out because I couldn't stand the business anymore. I was in the music business. Have you heard the new music today? Well back to the point in hand.
What is wrong with knowing your market and knowing how much the going rate is? What's wrong with calling around to other competitors? That's just how I do things. I think outside of the box. Scott Olden http://www.promagazine.com/print/PRO...oduction/1$296 did that and he makes 1.2 million dollars in sales a year. Good enough for him, good enough for me.
I'm glad I did call because I was going to send out fliers that were priced to high. I now adjusted them and also put a coupon on them. My price is a little higher but I'm giving a free service with a weekly agreement.
I think I'll do alright. I have mad business skills and I am great with people. If this doesn't work out than I am going to join the Inner City Border Patrol and go after all people here in my city that outbid me!!!!

Do it for Johnny!

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 08-27-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: language