Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjohnny View Post
I know how much I want to charge! I know what my fixed expenses and variable expensed are! I know how to run a business! I ran a very successful business for last 15 years. I got out because I couldn't stand the business anymore. I was in the music business. Have you heard the new music today? Well back to the point in hand.
What is wrong with knowing your market and knowing how much the going rate is? What's wrong with calling around to other competitors? That's just how I do things. I think outside of the box. Scott Olden http://www.promagazine.com/print/PRO...oduction/1$296 did that and he makes 1.2 million dollars in sales a year. Good enough for him, good enough for me.
I'm glad I did call because I was going to send out fliers that were priced to high. I now adjusted them and also put a coupon on them. My price is a little higher but I'm giving a free service with a weekly agreement.
I think I'll do alright. I have mad business skills and I am great with people. If this doesn't work out than I am going to join the Inner City Border Patrol and go after all people here in my city that outbid me!!!!

Do it for Johnny!
Why were your prices to high?? If your mad business skills had already did the numbers on what YOUR biz needed to turn a profit then thats what you need to make, or adjust how you run YOUR biz. Look out illeagles here comes johnny.

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 08-27-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan06 View Post
Why were your prices to high?? If your mad business skills had already did the numbers on what YOUR biz needed to turn a profit then thats what you need to make, or adjust how you run YOUR biz. Look out illeagles here comes johnny.
Huh?
Sorry to ruffle your feathers Martin. Like I said before I know my numbers. I know what I need to charge to make a profit. Who doesn't?
I was just little higher than my competition in the areas that I wanted to work in.
Good biz skills are figuring out what your competition is charging, making adjustments, and offering your market something different than the rest and still turning a profit. I did that and you are saying that that is wrong? What should I have done? This is a new business venture for me. Do you think anyone starting a new lawn care business should automatically know what to what others are charging? Please Martin take a moment to enlighten me, not criticize me.

Johnny
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjohnny View Post
Huh?
Sorry to ruffle your feathers Martin. Like I said before I know my numbers. I know what I need to charge to make a profit. Who doesn't?
I was just little higher than my competition in the areas that I wanted to work in.
Huh?
Good biz skills are figuring out what your competition is charging, making adjustments, and offering your market something different than the rest and still turning a profit. I did that and you are saying that that is wrong? What should I have done? This is a new business venture for me. Do you think anyone starting a new lawn care business should automatically know what to what others are charging? Please Martin take a moment to enlighten me, not criticize me.

Johnny
Then why were you so surprised when you found out the, so called, "going rate"?

How many companies did you call and what did you figure your rate should be? You said in your first post, $35.00 per lawn. Was that per mow or per month?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
Then why were you so surprised when you found out the, so called, "going rate"?

How many companies did you call and what did you figure your rate should be? You said in your first post, $35.00 per lawn. Was that per mow or per month?
I wasn't the only one surprised at the ""going rate"" out here in my area. Others here were surprised also. I wanted to charge 35.00 a service. People in my area are charging 7.50 to 20.00 a service. This rate doesn't surprise YOU? I have decided to charge 20-25.00 a service. 80-100.00 weekly. 40.00 bi-weekly. I don't know why you and the last LCO are having a hard time figuring out why I needed to research what my competition is charging. I would love to charge 45 a lawn but that aint gonna happen out here. Do I give up? Heck no!

My expenses are low enough still to turn a profit with what I am charging. That stated, there are still those rare people in that golden market, who want to spend a little more for quality work. They got the money and they want a high quality, presentable and reliable company to tend to their yards. I just have to find them. There is also commercial acccounts which I am presently attaining and marketing towards.

P.S.
Today I landed another commercial account which has made me very happy.

Johnny
h
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

the only thing i can think of is that there is a large population of illegals willing to work for absolutly peanuts. Otherwise i cant imagine how he can make it legaly
Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythntr View Post
the only thing i can think of is that there is a large population of illegals willing to work for absolutly peanuts. Otherwise i cant imagine how he can make it legaly
Well you hit it right on the nail! or should I say sprinkler?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Though the guy that I spoke with spoke great English and said that he had like 5 crews. These Illegals don't have crews. I think that his prices and everyone elses are low because they have to compete with these guys.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

i have heard about this problem farther south. Fortunatly, there are very few illegals in Montana. I feel for you
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I wonder what the profit margin is for a 750 lawn
Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythntr View Post
I wonder what the profit margin is for a 750 lawn
Well these guys live together and pay low rent. They don't have car payments because they can't buy a car legally anyways. They use hand me down equipment. So basically they have no expenses except for gas.
They make a huge profit! They need to make like 0.3 cents a lawn to cover their expenses!
J