Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2000, 12:05 AM
Alpine Landsc Maint

Who uses there ztr for snow removal and how good does it work? Do you use a blade or blower? and is it hard to transport it to your accounts during bad weather...
Old 02-28-2000, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Walkers for our snow removal. My experience is very positive. We have used them for 4 years. If you are getting alot of snow then you will want to have a blower but if you get snow that usually does not last, then I would recommend a blade. The nice thing about the Walker is that when we drive up the driveway whatever the size we just spin the unit around and drive back down. Spin around and go up and spin around and come back down. The driveway is finished. You can also get a lift unit for the Walker and this allows you to change from Blade to Blower quickly. We have looked at other machines and we feel that only machines that have wheels behind the drive wheels like the Walker are good for snow removal. You can also mount blades and blowers on you Walk behinds and we also use ours for this as well but they should be hydo stats to be productive because there is alot of backing up and changing of speeds etc. Concerning transporting the Walkers to our accounts during storms we have not had a problem and we use 2 wheel drive trucks. What we have on our trailers that helps is a ramp on the front for the trailer and what we always do for traction is to put the ramp down onto the bed of the truck and drive one of the units into the back of the truck. This is usually a Walk behind because it is used on the larger driveways and on multiple drives in the same area with the Walker but the Walker is always unloaded first to chew through the bank at the end of the driveway.The wieght of the walkbehind give you plenty of traction to pull a trailer with a Walker in it.<br>Hope this helps. <p>Brian<p><p>
Old 02-28-2000, 06:26 PM
Alpine Landsc Maint

Thanks for the info Brian. I thought it might be difficult to get around with a trailer in the snow. Guess it matters how bad of a storm it is. Are you doing mostly residential or commercial accounts and do you have alot in the same area? so you just unload and go.?<br>I had heard that traction was a problem with the ztr's, but its good to know that the Walker performs well.
Old 02-28-2000, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

We have never had a problem getting around and in the worst storms we will if necessary put the Walker in the back of the Truck. One time I made the snow plow operator angry because we where parked on the street and unloading just when he got there. He motioned me to move the truck and trailer and I just kept doing my job because we have to keep on track time wise. He in turn piled all of the snow around us. When we loaded I made sure the Walker was in the truck and I just backed up the truck and then charged the bank and away we went. We put tires on the Walker that look like farm tractor tires and they work very well in the snow. The first winter I used chains on my turf tires but they did to much damage and I could not risk damaging the many paver driveways we do so we stoped using them. We have some clients that are grouped together and prefer to get these no matter if they are for snow or for lawn care because it is one less load and unload. With 2 people we do per 2&quot; and over snow falls and average of around 52 driveways that measure a total average of 70,000 sq ft. <p>Brian<br>
Old 02-28-2000, 07:54 PM
Alpine Landsc Maint

Thanks for the info on changing the tires.<br>I am moving to Southern Wisconsin in a month<br>and I'm gonna need to know this stuff for next winter. I am about 3 weeks away from purchasing a ZTR, so I needed some imput on<br>moving snow. Walkers are big here in Utah, but not for moving snow, down south where I live they can pretty much mow year round.<br>Again thanks for the info...