Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2007, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander or ZTR????

I am just starting my business and ideally, I would like to get a 52" and a 36" mower. The 52" would be used for bigger 3/4 acre and up properties, and the 36" for smaller properties. My dilemma is whether to buy a 52" ztr or a wright stander. I think for the 36", I would like a stander or an Exmark walk behind with a sulky. I have really just started to look at the standers and I like them, but the closest dealer is 80 miles away. What do you guys think.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvinky View Post
I am just starting my business. . . What do you guys think.
I think for a guy starting a business (in August?), who presumably doesn't have a lawn under his belt (as we're imagining what lawns the mowers might be used on), buying 2 new machines without any positive income is a big mistake.

But that's just what I think.

If I was in your shoes, I would opt for a 36" walk behind and throw a stand-on sulky behind it for larger lawns.

After a few mean cutting seasons (or some large accounts w/contracts in hand), if you're still around. . . think more deck.

'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe ó 'That government is best which governs not at all.' ~ Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't plan on ramping up 'till next year, but I want to get my equipment before then. I am really thinking of buying used, not new.

Most of the larger, more prominent houses around here (the ones I am targeting) have 1+ acre lots. Would a 36" really be big enough for these lots??
Old 08-18-2007, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the concept of the Wright Stander...looks like it would be easy to control and you can see everything since you are standing.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a 36 would be good. IMOP
Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my Standers!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at a 36 stander and ended up ordering another 36" hydro bobcat with sulky. The stander looks nice but I didn't like the controls. The controls should be adjustable, for me if I wanted to move my hands from the front to back levers I had to let go of the levers, which I didn't like. The concept is good but they should make it adjustable so you can move the levers in closer and are not spread apart so far. My dad tried it also and had the same problem and said he didn't like it.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Stander. I got a Gravely Stander and it will smoke the Hustler hydro WB I used to have. People will talk about the controls being weird but once you use them for a few days it will become second nature. Since you are just starting out the Standers will give you a mix of both in one machine.
Shindaiwa EB630
Stihl FC110 edger
Redmax HBZ2600
Kawasaki KGT27A
Old 08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I run out several isuzu's daily and I can honestly say that my highest use mowers are the 36" Exmarks/Turf tracers with hydro and the second highest use is the 44" Exmark HP rider. I use almost exclusively walk behinds and only use riders in the larger turf areas. Now having said that, I cut a lot of all inclusive neighborhoods and condos so this seems to fit my needs. I have a friend that cuts every yard he has with a 52" or bigger and it looks like someone took a machete to them! he thinks the bigger the mower the faster he can get done and the more houses he can cut, well I have seen his employees tear up yards left and right and he has lost business because of this. I would start with the smaller mower and start putting money into some advertising and maybe start getting some quality trimmers, edgers, blowers and you guys seem to blow alot of snow up there so year around money is something to think about. A 36" mower will go through most gates, I bought the new 40" Toro/Hydro walk behind and it won't fit through some of the gates that i have to go in so you will always need a back up plan. Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understanding targeting both small and large properties which necessitates get two sizes of mowers. I would target one or the other and usually it is cheaper to focus on small lawns when starting. For small lawns use a Wright Sentar 36" is has a seat and you could do an property up to one acre if you had to.