Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Please Help. Clipping Problems and frusterated

I have been in the business 5 years, and have 30 accounts. I am in the MA area and I run walk behinds, scag 48 older, and a Wright velke 17hp 48" (2005)

My main mower is the Velke, its fast, and productive but I still feel like it doesnt discharge well enough.

I try to cut my lawns at 6 to 7 days, sometimes they get long on my, but never crazy. I often end up cutting 1 inch to 1.5 inches of grass. maybe from 4 inches down to 2.75 inches. I find myself with a lot of clippings and i have to double cut many of my lawns. the mower isnt bogging down, there is just too much grass. on many double cutting doesnt help and I end up bagging.

then I see somone cutting high grass next door with a Z and just discharging in all his glory. I have used about 4 mowers over the years and have always had this problem.

I need suggestions. Do you guys cut more often than 7 days? How would mulching help with the clippings if it can barely side discharge... wouldnt it bog the mower?

i just want a way to spend less time, while continuing to keep my lawns tip top.

I bought my mower used with 100 hrs, maybe there is a fluke in it? I replaced the clutch, blades are sharp, everything seems to be fine... I cant figure it out!

How high does grass usually get before you all start to see clippings? Any help greatly appreciated!

Ill take pics for you all once I start seeing posts. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro proline. In short, if I ran a totem pole over it would discharge it whole.

When doing way overgrown areas its nothing to shoot out 4" clippings. In short, unless you block the chute it will throw anything through there. I can run a plastic bag over and I could still fill it with water afterward. I dont worry about hitting small animals cause it will just displace them to the other side of the property unharmed!

If you block up the chute it gives the blades a chance to whack it again. I also think that the overall deck design makes some mowers more prone to total discharge. No idea on your mower though.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyc View Post
I have a Toro proline. In short, if I ran a totem pole over it would discharge it whole.

When doing way overgrown areas its nothing to shoot out 4" clippings. In short, unless you block the chute it will throw anything through there. I can run a plastic bag over and I could still fill it with water afterward. I dont worry about hitting small animals cause it will just displace them to the other side of the property unharmed!

If you block up the chute it gives the blades a chance to whack it again. I also think that the overall deck design makes some mowers more prone to total discharge. No idea on your mower though.
Yeah I always hate dispacing pets from their homes it's kinda sad.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Husqvarna LZ 6127
Husqvarna 7021P
Husqvarna 223L
Husqvarna 170BT
Husqvarna 125B
Stihl FS80
Stihl HS45
Robin Handheld Blower
Sprayers, Hand Tools etc
6.5X12 Trailer
Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvblandscaping View Post
I have been in the business 5 years, and have 30 accounts. I am in the MA area and I run walk behinds, scag 48 older, and a Wright velke 17hp 48" (2005)

My main mower is the Velke, its fast, and productive but I still feel like it doesnt discharge well enough.

I try to cut my lawns at 6 to 7 days, sometimes they get long on my, but never crazy. I often end up cutting 1 inch to 1.5 inches of grass. maybe from 4 inches down to 2.75 inches. I find myself with a lot of clippings and i have to double cut many of my lawns. the mower isnt bogging down, there is just too much grass. on many double cutting doesnt help and I end up bagging.

then I see somone cutting high grass next door with a Z and just discharging in all his glory. I have used about 4 mowers over the years and have always had this problem.

I need suggestions. Do you guys cut more often than 7 days? How would mulching help with the clippings if it can barely side discharge... wouldnt it bog the mower?

i just want a way to spend less time, while continuing to keep my lawns tip top.

I bought my mower used with 100 hrs, maybe there is a fluke in it? I replaced the clutch, blades are sharp, everything seems to be fine... I cant figure it out!

How high does grass usually get before you all start to see clippings? Any help greatly appreciated!

Ill take pics for you all once I start seeing posts. Thanks!
Yeah and might want to try some gators too.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Husqvarna LZ 6127
Husqvarna 7021P
Husqvarna 223L
Husqvarna 170BT
Husqvarna 125B
Stihl FS80
Stihl HS45
Robin Handheld Blower
Sprayers, Hand Tools etc
6.5X12 Trailer
Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, look, I don't understand some things...

I would have to guess MA is Maine, and I would further have to guess that up there the temperatures are mild, say 80-85 max, and you are on track with the rain and all that. Because otherwise, what I fail to gain here is how are you getting away cutting grass weekly without burning the stuff to a crisp?

But, so long it's green and growing, I might suggest cutting at 3" for the time being, that's my all-time one size fits all you can't go wrong with it height, I think you're cutting too low.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ma is Mass.
Try running double blades with gators on the top or just plain gators/mulchers.
When I had a stander I couldn't get it to cut/discharge well. And I tried so many blade combos it wasn't funny.
Double cuttting is sometimes the only thing you can do.
Joel
www.saunderslawn.com
Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaunders View Post
Ma is Mass.
When I had a stander I couldn't get it to cut/discharge well. And I tried so many blade combos it wasn't funny.
Double cuttting is sometimes the only thing you can do.
Joel
I was afraid of that. I am thinking of selling the Velke and buying a newer Scag or Exmark. Something with a vac...

The Wright just plain sucks with gators, though it is alright for leaves. With gators on it the cut is horrible. Perhaps they just have a bad deck design. There is no baffle insie the front of the deck, otehr than that main front welding. Sometimes my 96 14hp scag with iffey spindles cuts better than it!

Did you get rid of your stander? Its just a VERY productive machine. Even if I have to double cut!

Andyes MA is mass. sometimes I feel like cutting at 4 or 5 days. But simply cannot do it. Any other suggestions guys?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Sponsor

Blades

Use the MEG MO blades and set mower at 3". Since WE invented the meg mo blades we do not catch or leave any clipping on the turf and no double cutting.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sounds to me like your cutting low. 3" is my norm but on some nice lawns im up to 5", 4" is average on the nicer ones. if you clumping, my rule of thumb is to go up higher. be careful too, if you mower has height adjustments they are often not accurate. have 3 Z's and they are all different at 3".

might also need to clean the underside of the deck out more. if its not clean under there, its going to throw less. if you still have clumps of grass, take the blower out and hit the high spots. if you still having problems you mihgt have some lawns that need to be cut bi-weekly. i tell customers in my proposals that they sign i will come bi-weekly for heavy growth

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes raise your cutting height about 1/2 an inch. Also get rid of the gators and try some hi lift blades.