Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Strange thing I saw yesterday...

While mowing an acct yesterday, the neighbor came out and started mowing. It didn't really catch my eye until his bag filled up and he had to change it. The fool left the mower running while emptying the bag. I could tell it didnt have bbc because grass clippings were flying out the grass chute. His hands got awfully close to the opening, made me cringe. Had a rope tied on the deadmans switch so it would continue running. Made me really open my eyes as to how stupid people can be at times just to save a few seconds.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well you know how strenuous it can be pulling that cord to start the mower.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I saw a guy Saturday who was string trimming his yard. He was wearing safety glasses, but his two young children were playing only a few feet away from him. What would you do in a case like this? Let them continue to do the unsafe practice, or explain to them the dangers of their actions?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I see somebody doing something dumb like that, usually I stop what I'm doing, walk over and express my concern for them. With competitors, rarely do I bother (unless I can tell they are complete rookies), but with homeowners around my properties I almost always approach them. Usually it is because I see them operating a weedwacker without safety glasses. And I say that people under-estimate these things and that they are taking an unnecessary risk by not protecting their eyes. What is more precious than eyesight?

The end result is I feel better for doing what I could to help them, and my rapport/value to the neighborhood/standing in the neighborhood rises. It is good neighborhood relations. Often they agree with me that they were making a mistake, and they go into their garage and get their safety glasses.

Next time you see that guy making that mistake, why not just point out the unnecessary risk he is taking? If he chops off his fingers, you'll waste a lot more time in the first aid effort. It probably wouldn't take 60 seconds to just tell him it concerns you. Probably he would awaken to the danger. And that neighbor will have a positive view of you from then on.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin100 View Post
I saw a guy Saturday who was string trimming his yard. He was wearing safety glasses, but his two young children were playing only a few feet away from him. What would you do in a case like this? Let them continue to do the unsafe practice, or explain to them the dangers of their actions?
You know how dangerous it is... apparently the father doesn't. I would definitely intervene.

Man, I took my safety glasses off for just one brief moment because I had trouble seeing. Then I got a pebble wedged between my eyeball and eye socket. Scary!

I completely destroyed the rear window of my truck one year when I zinged a pebble at it with a weedwacker. It was in a million pieces.

Anybody who doesn't wear safety glasses while weedwacking, or who operates a wacker with children nearby is making a terrible mistake.

I do have an uncle who lost 3 fingers to a lawn mower. They sewed his hand to his stomach to facilitate skin growth. It was a time of great pain for him. It is kind of weird to shake his hand since he just has a thumb and one finger on it.

People under-estimate lawn equipment.

Take that step, be a leader, and help those near your properties that are making foolish choices. One moment to express your concern and you are doing something good while elevating your value in the neighborhood, which is good for business.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Well if you dont talk to him and he has no fingers you might gain him as a account.
Toro Recycler 21"
Tanaka THT-210S hedge trimmer
Husqvarna 125L Trimmer
Husqvarna 125E Stick Edger
Echo PAS-265 /Hedge Trimmer
Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower
Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not saying it right but 30-35 years ago i never shut the lawnboy off when changing/emptying the bag. nobody new better back then. can't imagine how many thousands of times i changed out the bag. we bagged everything back then.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolaken View Post
not saying it right but 30-35 years ago i never shut the lawnboy off when changing/emptying the bag. nobody new better back then. can't imagine how many thousands of times i changed out the bag. we bagged everything back then.
Same here.. I still do on my home lawn mower when I'm picking up leaves and such.

Yeah I know its not that much of PITA to turn off the mower and resart it, but I've gotten rid of all the safety stuff. Makes me think about what I'm doing and makes me realize that if i do something stupid I'll pay accordingly...

maybe his mower is in slight disrepair and is a PITA to start..
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys reminded me, a couple weeks ago we were at a regular customer's house. The street is very narrow and the neighbor directly across the street has a very small young baby boy. He is always outside walking around, seemingly unsupervised. So I fire up the mower and get ready to engage the blades when I look over and there he is staring at me. Thats fine, but the properties are so close he could definitely get hurt if anything flew over there. Then here comes mom, THANK GOD!! Wait...........she keeps on fartin' around with the truck or something and lets him stand there like a damn target on a firing range. I went to the far side of the property and finally she took him inside. WTF!!!!! I wanted to stop and ask her if she gave 2 $#!+'s about the fact that I'm 25' from her son with some power equipment and maybe he could get hurt?! I remember telling myself what a dumb "beep"! Oh but I would be the devil if he got hurt. I just kept my mouth shut and tried to go about my business without a fuss. I think saying something in this particular situation would cause more trouble than good, like questioning her parenting or something?!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I removed the safety stuff off my Snapper and dont shut off to remove bag...am I stupid, I dont think so, been doing it like that for years. Whats the problem if you are careful? I have done more stupid things in my life then leaving a mower running while removing bag.

I do try to shut it down before I put my hands under the deck or when sharpening the blade! This I did learn from the owners manual!

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."