Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

What is Pave Pack?

having a guy come and do my driveway. I initially wanted the driveway paved, but with a lot future landscaping around the corner he suggested putting in a base (pave pack). I have no idea what it is. He said it would give me the pavement I wanted just not the black top finish. I've never heard of this. Do you guys know of it?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's probably old black top milling and it's laid down and rolled and the sun will hardened it works for a while good temp .stuff to use.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

He said he has seen it left on for 5-6 years. Is it hard like pavement? Will my daughter be able to ride a bike on it easily?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I just looked at the estimate again. It is bituminous concrete??? IS that a typical base for driveway? OR before the finish?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Around here we call it cold patch what it is ground up asphalt mixed with a tar that kind of makes it sticky. It does harden after awhile I used it for a water line in a parking lot I did. I heated the stuff up with a tiger torch and used a plate compactor to pack it down.

Personally I would pave it now and when you want to do the landscaping do the landscaping.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

ccas,

Base is what we put down over "Selects".the 1st coat if you will....on most road or building projects.....then when we are finished a "Top" is applied..finer aggregate and the shine .....

Ask the "paver" who he buys his mix from and then research that companies "Batch" qualities....There are only 3 large "Batch plants" operations in NH....Pike,Brox and Continental.....

The only other "pave pack" I've seen is a Stone dust/aggregate mix put down with a "Drop box".......some do this to create a great foundation for the asphalt...but lasting 4-5 Nh winters?????

I hope I gave you more info to your ????

Snoope back quiet
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

No personal experience with Pave Pack, have never heard of it to be honest. I can vouch for course aggregate recycled concrete (not the fine used for a paver substrate) as a cheap long or short term driveway though. I put ours down four years ago knowing what the future heavy equipment traffic would be, multiple full 20-22 yard dump trucks, 10 yard mixers and a really big crane.

It's even been through 3 hurricanes, 2/3rds of our 3/4 acre lot drains over it with the subdivision behind us 4' higher and we take a lot of their water. It's held up great and my kids ride their bikes on it without a problem, but it can be hard on bare feet. With no Portland properties left in it it's pretty impressive.

Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If its rap (recycled asphalt product) I am a big fan of it. Packs great and lasts good. Every now and then you'll get a batch with more gravel/aggregate fines in it and it can be a little dusty but overall I have been pleased by it.