Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2000, 08:45 AM

What I am saying is that we should make ourselves less dependent on them for oil. Or they are going to continue to jerk us around as long as they can get away with it. I am not say that there is a shortage of gas and that suvs are causeing it. If we cut back on our consumption and find alternatives to oil then we can jerk them around for a change. Gas guzzeling automobile are making us more dependent on countries who don't care at all about us. But too if you make opec countries poor then we will just have to support them like we do everyone else. Suv are just part of the problem. All autos seem to be going back to bigger is better. There should be a balance. They need to make money and we need reasonable pricing. Our country just need to take more control of its destiny and conserve when we can easily do so as to not make us so dependent.
Old 02-25-2000, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Homer and others - Here in New Haven, 87 octane is already 1.60. And, rumor (from the sea faring types at the terminals) has it that the tankers are sitting offshore only to arrive when the land tanks are just about empty. It's like they (the big companies) are staging a mock shortage. Prices for diesel here are back down to around 1.65 after peaking at 2.25. The news last night said there would be more price rises in the future (big surprise). I plan to stock up on as much diesel as I can in the few big tanks that I have. That is what we did at the beginning of the winter, fortunately. <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 02-25-2000, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lets go for it,but won't we all just fill up right befor? <br>Here we the U.S.A. send our troops over there risk their lives, ruin their health, AND their unborn kids health to what be screwed by them. WE the US Saved ALL their butts from Sadam Hussain, and heres the thanks we get. But that is another long story.<br>I say open up the Alaska, Texas, and Oklahoma oil fields and to hell with OPEC. <br>I would rather pay $2.00 a gal for American gas then $1.50 for theirs. If this was happening the dollers wouldnt be going out of the country.<br>And then again just watch out this IS an election year and SOMEONES going to pull somthing out of their hat to say look what we have done for you. Now you owe our party your votes.
Old 02-25-2000, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a good point brought up in the last post. Sure we can go 3 days without buying fuel, but we need it, so we're going to stock up before and after the 3 days, which will make up sales anyway? I don't know if it would work. Also.....as regards to the post that brought up the gulf war, your right. Now my opinion, not the miltary and the U.S.'s!! ( I don't need to get kicked out of the Air Force!) Why do we risk our's ( the miltary) people life and your (the civillians and taxpayers) money fighting a war for someone els. (Like always!) I have no problem giving my life at any givin time for OUR US SOIL !! But back to the point, I would have made some kind od deal before we left there for some rights to oil or something along those lines. We bailed them out of some serious sh!+ and once they are back on their feet and don't need us anymore, Up our A$$ it goes!! I hope we can come up with some kind of plan to slow these prices down.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 02-25-2000, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lets just TAKE iraq we could make it the 51st state, and lawrence stone could put the iraqies to work as an alternative to his white slavery, he seems to know alot about mowing in the desert. <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 02-25-2000, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

hey i say that we take stonehead<br>ship his ass to iraq work for himself<p><p>
Old 02-25-2000, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hey guys--lots of (crude [oil])energy is going into this discussion but you ought to face up to some reality.<p>(1)for the record--I'm a flag waving SUV driving SOB that feeds on tree huggers driving yugo's trying to convince me that my gas sucking ways are evil. I know they are evil and ILOVEIT!!!<p>(2) as I fill up, I flip the man a fifty dollar bill and I'm not happy about that.<p>(3) see number two above. can I (we) do any thing about it? not likely. I can sell my beloved SUV and climb in a yugo with the tree huggers but someone else would buy my SUV, burn probably more high octane fuel and then run over me with the blamed thing. no thanks, I'll keep the keys.<p>(4) Here's the real deal. for you guys that think gasoline comes out of an oil well...uhhh...HELLO!!!...that was a false report! gasoline is refined from crude oil. crude oil comes out of the oil wells. crude oil is shipped to refineries in the US for processing into various petroleum products. each barrel of crude oil yields quantities of:<p>asphalt and other heavy bituminous products, fuel heating oil, jet fuel,<br> diesel style fuels, light petroleum IE. kerosene and almost lastly and leastly...GASOLINE!<p>Believe it or not, only a small percentage of a barrel of arab crude (or for that matter any crude domestic or import) winds up available as gasoline for our exmarks, dixies, lescos and yugos!<p>sorry folks, that's the facts! I wish us all the best at the pump!<p>GEO
Old 02-25-2000, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm all for boycotting the gouging(however you spell it)basterds, that's right put the small man out of business. I'm going to hook a duracell 9 volt up to my equipment, or a really long extension cord. the hell with gas when i've got batteries and electricity ha ha, when all else fails get a sense of humor, doesn't cost a dime.
Old 02-27-2000, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Has any body gave thought to LP conversions for Mowers and Trucks? My Dad runs his farm on LP fuel. Very clean running but plan on 90% HP compared to Gas.
Old 02-27-2000, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

hey the price of lp is 83 cents per gallon it was 53 cents last year thats way up there try heating a greenhouse with that price the price of bedding plants is going up!