Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Use of starting fluid on small engines

I see on here time and time again about using starting fluid on mower engine. DO NOT DO THAT. I have seen spark plugs blown right out of the head, mufflers blown off and even carbs blown out. Starting fluid has way too much kick for a small engine. And you will turn any engine into a "dope addict" by using starting fluid. You can take a brand new engine right out of the box and start using starting fluid on it and soon the engine will become addicted to it and will not start not matter what unless you use it.

By the way I know my self for a fact of two people that got "shot" from using starting fluid. One used it on a chain saw and the spark plug blew out and went into his shoulder. The other one used it on a push mower. He got shot in the leg. Both had to go to the hospital.
I would have love to have seen the X-ray techs face when he seen those X-rays.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67 View Post
I see on here time and time again about using starting fluid on mower engine. DO NOT DO THAT. I have seen spark plugs blown right out of the head, mufflers blown off and even carbs blown out. Starting fluid has way too much kick for a small engine.
I've seen a guy spray nearly half a can into a Kubota diesel, I walked away laughing after he twisted the crank and had one of the pistons come out the side of the case. You should NEVER use starting fluid to start a diesel ! Then there are the guys that use it to mount those big balloon tires to the rim Oh well, we all have to learn from our mistakes, thou it's better to learn from others

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have worked on diesel tractors with starting fluid can adapters on it from the factory. Everything in moderation.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While we are on this topic another nono is using carb spray to start 2 cycle engines The carb spray does not have the lubrication properties needed and the unit will start but it will be running lean(no oil)

Have had more then a few in the shop that the customers have said "well it runs when I spray it with carb spray"

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67 View Post
One used it on a chain saw and the spark plug blew out and went into his shoulder.

Fixer, I guess you know your giving would be robbers an idea for a new weapon......

Years ago when in the auto biz I had a customer with a Chevy blazer (diesel) the glow plugs went out in. He busted four starter nose cones and snapped the bolts off in the block twice.

He had a half dozen cans of starting fluid thrown in the passenger floor area.

With the tow and repair cost of two starter repairs he could have had the glow plugs repaired but kept
declining.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Fixer, I guess you know your giving would be robbers an idea for a new weapon......
Now there is an idea. Modify your potato cannon to shot spark plug. I guess that is one way to recycle them.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouse View Post
I have worked on diesel tractors with starting fluid can adapters on it from the factory. Everything in moderation.
On a diesel tractor yes but I have not see one on a B&S 3.5HP mower engine yet. Spray half a can in one of them and you have a bomb.
Moderation is a word that seems not to be in most peoples vocabulary.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe we can adapt the tractor primer onto the Briggs!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the only time I use it, is to test something out in the field. if it starts with a quick shot of ether, then dies....it has spark and no fuel. gives me quick idea of where to start my search.
I would never use it as a way to start it every time.
and to mount very large tires like on a semi or bus...it does work. but it racks my nerves every time.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have used it to bead some tough tires. Some new tires I get are just about smashed flat. I quick shot of fluid and BAMB it's on. Kind of like a rubber tire potato gun!