Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag vs exmark

Hello everyone, I am trying to decied which zero turn to buy. I have narrowed it down to A scag or exmark which one gives a better cut and which is a better overall machine. thanks, Kenny
Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Do a search and you will find a lot. Seardh titles only and you will find all of them.

Also check out both dealers and see what they have to offer. I know my scag dealer is the worst in the business so i dont care how great scags were i would not buy one. Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny58 View Post
Hello everyone, I am trying to decied which zero turn to buy. I have narrowed it down to A scag or exmark which one gives a better cut and which is a better overall machine. thanks, Kenny
Since they're both at the top of the ZTR food chain, they're both going to cut beautifully...
I pondered the same decision when I was buying my ZTR, and decided on the Scag. I own a welding shop and work with steel all the time. So looking at how they were fashioned--welds, structure, etc., played a part in my decision. The Scags are built like a Mack truck, and that's what sold me. I also noticed that all the LCO's in my area who are doing highway medians and large commercial jobs are all using Scags...mainly Turf Tigers. I went with the 52in. liquid-cooled Kawasaki combo. No regrets...
Old 08-26-2007, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OH NO, another exmark and scag fight,the metal work on a scag is a work of art scag makes every piece on there mower from a machine shop excluding the wheels.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE View Post
OH NO, another exmark and scag fight,the metal work on a scag is a work of art scag makes every piece on there mower from a machine shop excluding the wheels.
Interesting ....I am a big Scag fan but those guys need to figure out how to get paint to stay on their welds, all my old units are rusting thru...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the Scag also. I have a Turf Tiger and have had no problems with it. I just bought a walk-behind and I love the way it cuts but I have to bend over alot to use it. Just Scag riders for me!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here on the paint we buy it for $12.99 a can.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can't make a bad decision b/t the two. They are both the best IMO. I actually think the Exmark is little more scalp resistent than the Tiger... but the Tiger is tough. I own 3 Tigers. Just converted about a year ago. The only problem I have had on my 06 Tiger is the gear box seal has been broken twice in 900 hours.... but at the same time the mower has the same belts today as it did the day it left the factory. I have had Hustler and Dixie Choppers... and I think the Scag is a superior piece of equipment... especially for operations that run multiple crews and don't have the most careful operators.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you compare these two brands you have to be specific on which models you are comparing. I beleive both have advantages kind of like to prize fighters fixing to go at it. The Tiger Cub and Wildcat are on par with the Lazer series as far as construction quality but the advantage will definitely go the Velocity deck over the Triton from most reports on the cut. Exmarks Ultracut has been tried and proven and would be a toss up vs the Scag decks depending on turf conditions, and what look you actually wanted.

But then there is the Turf Tiger which is in a class of it's own as far as construction is concerned. You will be hard pressed to find another Z that is as fortified and built like the Tiger. It may ride like a tank but it is definitely built like one as well. Either way you will be satisfied with either brand,(exmark ultracut prefered) Let the dealer and after the sell service be the deciding factor between these two brands. Just my 2 cents.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Husqvarna LZ 6127
Husqvarna 7021P
Husqvarna 223L
Husqvarna 170BT
Husqvarna 125B
Stihl FS80
Stihl HS45
Robin Handheld Blower
Sprayers, Hand Tools etc
6.5X12 Trailer
Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You see my eqmnt listed below...enough said.
Shindaiwa