Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper Blown Engine;Considering Diesel

I have had a Dixie Chopper 72" cut with 32 HP Gas Generac Engine for just over 3 years. Only has 250 hours on it. I own a 100 acre farm with lots of grass to cut. I was using the mower last week to trim some pasture after the cows had eaten it down and I blew the engine. I had the mower for 3 years and 3 months and you guessed it-generac warrants them for 3 years. We are trying to see if dixie chopper/generac will stand behind the engine given the low hours of the machine. I was very faithful about maintenance (changing oil and filter regularly) and I had checked oil level before I took the machine out the day the engine blew. Well, I am wondering if the pasture was to much for the gasoline machine. It seemed to bog down the machine somewhat. I am considering buying the 35 HP Diesel Dixie Chopper 72" machine. I also have a Kubota compact excavator and I have been real impressed with the quality of the that machine. For that reason, I am considering the 31 HP Kubota zd331 Diesel 72" mower. Another plus is the Kubota is probably $3000 less money than the dixie chopper. The Kubota is a 31 HP Kubota diesel and the Dixie Chopper has a 35 HP Yanmar diesel. Because I felt the pasture was causing the 32 HP Gas Generac to bog down, I wonder if I will see a noticeable improvement in the Kubota in spite of it being less HP (31 HP). I have heard there is noticeable improvement in torque when moving to a diesel from a gasoline. Anybody else had any experience with a generac engine blowing with such low hours?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaydds View Post
I have had a Dixie Chopper 72" cut with 32 HP Gas Generac Engine for just over 3 years. Only has 250 hours on it. I own a 100 acre farm with lots of grass to cut. I was using the mower last week to trim some pasture after the cows had eaten it down and I blew the engine. I had the mower for 3 years and 3 months and you guessed it-generac warrants them for 3 years. We are trying to see if dixie chopper/generac will stand behind the engine given the low hours of the machine. I was very faithful about maintenance (changing oil and filter regularly) and I had checked oil level before I took the machine out the day the engine blew. Well, I am wondering if the pasture was to much for the gasoline machine. It seemed to bog down the machine somewhat. I am considering buying the 35 HP Diesel Dixie Chopper 72" machine. I also have a Kubota compact excavator and I have been real impressed with the quality of the that machine. For that reason, I am considering the 31 HP Kubota zd331 Diesel 72" mower. Another plus is the Kubota is probably $3000 less money than the dixie chopper. The Kubota is a 31 HP Kubota diesel and the Dixie Chopper has a 35 HP Yanmar diesel. Because I felt the pasture was causing the 32 HP Gas Generac to bog down, I wonder if I will see a noticeable improvement in the Kubota in spite of it being less HP (31 HP). I have heard there is noticeable improvement in torque when moving to a diesel from a gasoline. Anybody else had any experience with a generac engine blowing with such low hours?
jclaydds,

Please keep us informed how DC and/or Generac responds to your situation. Also, I would be interested to know if your mower can be repowered with the 35HP diesel.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At only 250 hours logged and only a short time out of warranty.... I would think Generac would cover it IF it's indeed a failure and not a case of abuse.

Abuse would not include working the engine hard.
Abuse would be not servicing it properly (oil & air).

If they don't cover it and you want to keep your current mower, get a 35hp Briggs Vanguard or a 37hp Kawasaki to go back on it.

If you would just as soon get a new machine, for sure look at the Kubota's, Grasshoppers, Toros, and maybe another brand or two I'm not thinking of that offers big diesels.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro has a 52" Diesel Z master for under 10k. Bad boys makes a 34 HP Cat Diesel mower. Very nice, very powerful.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pooby View Post
Bad boys makes a 34 HP Cat Diesel mower. Very nice, very powerful.
I knew I was forgetting to list some other good options.

That Bad Boy "appears" to really be something.

I'd also say that if this guy likes dixie chopper's deck, he would probably be very pleased with the much heavier built Bad Boy for the money. The deck to me looks rather similar in style...

This is a link to the 35 hp unit.

http://www.badboymowers.com/products=diesel_35hp.php

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
I knew I was forgetting to list some other good options.

That Bad Boy "appears" to really be something.

I'd also say that if this guy likes dixie chopper's deck, he would probably be very pleased with the much heavier built Bad Boy for the money. The deck to me looks rather similar in style...

This is a link to the 35 hp unit.

http://www.badboymowers.com/products=diesel_35hp.php

Since he's mowing a large acreage the bad boys would be perfect. It has a fixed deck and is more suitable as a Brush-hog that his other one would...Plus it's easy to service.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

dont consider diesel buy it!!!

I have ZD18's with 60 decks they have 1750 @ 2600 hrs on them I know of 1 trans replaced since early 2000 or 2001 they run on off road fuel which is 50 cents a gallon cheaper than reg diesel and 1.00 cheaper than gas. I run them all day every day and spend 75.00 a week on fuel. On top of that I cut stuff that other guys use a brush hog for and have no problems. You also get more torque per hp out of diesel.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, in that pic i see the shocks/coil overs on the front casters... i don't see a slot where the axle would actually move up and down. am i missing it or does that front axle look like it runs straight thru.

EDIT: nevermind, i can see a little slot on the fork on the left hand side. nice setup.

42" Walker, 24.5 LC Kubota Gas
60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
redmax bcz3000
redmax 7001
Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pooby View Post
Since he's mowing a large acreage the bad boys would be perfect. It has a fixed deck and is more suitable as a Brush-hog that his other one would...Plus it's easy to service.
It's not a fixed deck.

It has an electric lift and a height indicator.
That's why there is no manual lift parts on it.

So far, that's actually the one thing I like the least about the mower.
I don't want no dang electric or hydraulic lift on a machine in commercial use.

But it would be great for a farm mower's taste.
Real nice touch not having to lift that 1/4" thick 72" deck... LOL>>>

Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy Mowers are Good Mowers!

In my experience on a school property, running 2 60 inch Bad Boy Mowers for a whole season, they have held up well and the dealer has been very supportive for every need. They are tuff and dependable. They don't tear up the turf as badly as my DC does. Much smoother performance.
2004 Cub Cadet 21" push mower
2006 Stihl FS 80 brushcutter
2006 Stihl HS 80 30" hedgtrimmer
2007 Stihl BG 85 blower/vac
2007 Stihl MS 250 chainsaw