Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Could the low ph be causing the magnesium and calcium form not being used up. From what I understand high magnesium or calcium can bond with phosphorous, making it not available to plants ( my low phosphorous reading). I just dont understand how a major lab can get the readings I did, and not be alarmed.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayz View Post
Could the low ph be causing the magnesium and calcium form not being used up.
The soil test results should reflect readily available nutrients for plant uptake (in solution and exchangeable).

Basically I think your over analyzing the situation. You should be less concerned with your nutrient levels right now (especially Ca and Mg) and more concerned with your pH. I would also hold off on the bone meal unless there is a critical need for it right now (P will become more available as your pH goes up).

Also consider the sample you took may not be representative of your soils (localized contamination). Ideally you want to test multiple samples over the entire site in order to get the big picture.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That would be my guess. The only thing that makes sense to me is that you put the lime down, didn't get any rain, took the sample and some of the lime got in the sample. That's how your cec's are low and your ph is low and your ca and mg levels are high. Wait about 3 monthes and test again.