Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Florida's Finest Lawncare

While not my business name, I do firmly believe I provide some of the finest lawn care in my area, probably in the whole state. I may be a little biased though. I grew up mowing grass, like many I had a lawn business before I could drive, and I was mowing grass since I could push a mower, back when you actually pushed them. In high school I started working for my neighbor who has a very successful lawn business, he even gave me my first commercial mower; an old worn out 34in Gravely belt drive walk behind. I owe pretty much everything to him. Before I worked for him, I was a kid with a lawn mower, after spending a few years with him I was a pro. In those years I learned not just how to mow grass quickly, but how to do it righ and stick out from the others.

When I got out of the military a few years ago I started working a typical dead college job while going back to school. After obtaining my EMT and Firefighter certifications I decided to start my business again. A lot of firefighters I knew had lawn care business, and it was something I enjoyed and was good at, plus I could work it around my schedule. I was burnt out and sick of my part time job so in 2013 I started my business back up.

I primarily do full service mow and go and sling mulch. I specialize in high end residential properties between a half acre and five acres. Although I've also started targeting middle income new construction neighborhoods with post stamp yards and medium sized corner lots. I' can do four or five in a row and gross my self $60+ an hour vs the typical 40-50 I make on other properties.

I'd like to work into eventually doing pavers and more landscape design and install, however I like the mow and go, it's easy work and I make good money doing it. I live in a wealthier community, and while there are plenty of low ball lawn care companies, there are also plenty of upper middle class and wealthy folks willing to pay a premium to have a quality job done by someone who is a polite, well spoken individual. Everyone loves a firefighter!

Two years later I've gone from 0 accounts to 9 accounts, 7 of which are full service year round customers. I had more at the end of 2014 but dropped most of them as they were under valued. I'm growing slowly but profitably, and thats what matters.

More pics to come...

Corner Lot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks nice.

Respectfully though, think you will need more than 9 customers to Claim the Title.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Squiggly stripes

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2015, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Handhelds

Pro Turn

St. Augustine Stripes

Big Bahia Yard
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onadraw View Post
Looks nice.

Respectfully though, think you will need more than 9 customers to Claim the Title.
Thanks man. Don't have to have a lot to be the best though!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just picked me up a Shindy DH235 to mostly replace my Stihl Kombi pole trimmers. It's sooooo much lighter. Can't wait to see how they cut! I love my Shindaiwa equiemt, even my Shindecho stuff. I've had great luck with it so far and I still think it's an excellent product. The only problems I've had are traced to the EPA garbage that's been shoved down our throats.

DH 235

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're out in Valrico aren't you? The yards are a lot bigger out there than Tampa communities built in the last 20 years.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice work, and love all of the Shindaiwa handhelds!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You're out in Valrico aren't you? The yards are a lot bigger out there than Tampa communities built in the last 20 years.

I am. I try and get the big ones. I think they're more enjoyable and typically (I say typically, because not always) the people with the big yards are less likely to want to spend the time taking care of them and are willing to pay good money to keep them nice. Most of my big yards though are homes built 20-30 years ago. Now just like anywhere else they're stacking them one on top of the other. Trying right now to get my first really big lot (a five acre new construction). I drop a business card off at their gate key pad once a week. I figure I'll keep doing that until they either ask me to go away or ask me for an estimate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
Nice work, and love all of the Shindaiwa handhelds!

Thanks man! Love my Shindys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device