Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ohh man are you gona wish you made that bigger the first time you pull a truck in! Its nice but your company is allready to big for a shop that size.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tell me, how am I planning to use my shop??

The intention is not to park trucks inside but rather to use it as an actual shop for working in. I'm later building a pole barn (roof structure only) to park under. With the International, I have another 13' off the end of it to work with (shop is 40' deep). I've also got space to build off of the left side for any future expansion. I built the shop based on my needs vs wants. I also just paved my 1/4 mile road, concrete + thermal to pour, equip the shop etc......things add up.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

People down here have tried "dry wells" but our soil doesn't perk fast enough so I think the practice has been abandoned for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2010, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
People down here have tried "dry wells" but our soil doesn't perk fast enough so I think the practice has been abandoned for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device
What??????
Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a property and am hoping to build a 30x40 shop also. You mind telling me what the basic shell of the building cost you? (ie framing, steel, doors) Pm me if you want.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a shop about the same size, I don't park trucks inside either. But sometimes when you have a long term project like a trans or brake job or anything over a oil change it really messes things up. I have two full bays with doors and a third with no doors where the mowers,mini skid and such stay. Then when you add in benches a tool box and a parts and supplies area things start to feel small and inadequate (that's what she said). I'm not saying it was wrong, its sweet as hell and way better then nothing. If anything it was meant more as a compliment by saying your allready to big for something that size.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Haha, nothing personal. Anything big I'll just send it to a shop. It's a waste of time and resources for me or my guys to do anything significant to a piece of equipment. Pro's can do it WAY faster and in the end I'll pay their labor fees through my own labor and loss of production.

I plan to use this more for maintenance and a warm/dry place to work. Let's not forget smooth because working on gravel sucks. My brother and I will work on the car in there a lot too. I cannot wait to have a lift. Working on a car that's got the clearance to traverse a small stick is a pain sometimes.

So yeah, I can't wait to have a shop to work in. Just changing the blades on the mowers will even be enjoyable.

Check this company out: http://www.bigassfans.com

I can say whatever of course, but professionally I'll say I got a great deal on this building. Normally around $18,500 for what I got but I kept it simple. I didn't need a bunch of architecture. That does not include the floor and unfortunately no tools either.

They're finishing tomorrow but I would recommend them for anyone looking, good company. http://www.pioneerpolebuildings.com

Last edited by tthomass; 06-20-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i know what you mean, i use to not change blades for daaaaaays on the mowers because i would have to do it in the dark on a gravel muddy drive. Now its a breeze with the mower station set up. I have the blades all ready to go, filters and mobile one oil, belts, and other common parts all in their own little station. Im still looking into a faster system to lift them up, i dont care for the mower jacks because they are in the way and a car jack is a pain to. Im thinking about a electric winch and then you pull one of the tires over a tow strap hoop and then lift it. The hoop tightens around the front wheel and you have 100% access. Thats how the repair shop by me does it, works slick.

look into getting used bowling lane for benches, thats what i got and they are bad ass but super heavy to put in place.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Planting has filled in nicely since we built this one.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thomas, you will LOVE having that lift for your car! My buddy has one in his garage and we did an in tank fuel pump and a manual steering rack conversion in 2 1/2 hours. It might of helped that he is a mechanic also.