Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Our terminology is different. For patios, we call that flat work. For walls or vertical surfaces, we call that veneer.

Flat work, if wet, is set in a bed of mortar over top of a 5" concrete pad. Veneer is also over concrete and typically a block structure.

Portland + Masonry Sand + Water = Mortar
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

careful with that wording. Mortar is light masonry cement+mortar/mason sand+water. Stone mud usually add portland to the mix. a portland sand mix is a "brown coat" bt thats coming out of the masonry side of things. veneer work is usually 6" or less thick and anchored to the wall. can be over wood,block,crete. some of the newer mixes they are ptting out for stone/veneer work are nice for people who have never mixed "mud" before so the correct ratios and strength are met.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Or more technical, Portland Type I & II.

This is why plants have Latin names and common names. Latin so that the whole globe of people know what it is, common for whatever you care to call it.

Nepeta 'Catmint'
Rudbeckia 'Black-eye Susan'
Buxus 'Boxwood'
Thuja 'Arborvitae'
Quercus 'Oak'
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point sir good point.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Our terminology is different. For patios, we call that flat work. For walls or vertical surfaces, we call that veneer.

Flat work, if wet, is set in a bed of mortar over top of a 5" concrete pad. Veneer is also over concrete and typically a block structure.

Portland + Masonry Sand + Water = Mortar
What would you consider your mix then, type M, type S, type N etc....

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Still needs to be acid washed but here it is (excuse the camera phone). Patio is on a 90 and the circle a 45. We did the grading/cleanup and sod at about 1/2 way through the project vs at the end and worked out very well. This time of year with rain and freeze/thaw it can be a real mess so we took advantage of the nice weather while we could. Iron railings go on soon and we'll be working on a spring planting of perennials/shrubs/trees.
Attached Images

Last edited by tthomass; 12-06-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I like how you tied the patio in with the house by using the brick around the circle.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

After dealing with a bunch of BS from manufacturers (Airflow) and suppliers, we decided to build/fab our own plow trucks. Perfect job for a rain day and better built too. We've yet to put the concrete in our shop and thankfully a neighbor let us borrow his shop with every tool known to man. Not finished yet but we're close.

For what it's worth......if you ever have the choice, go BOSS over Fisher. Fisher is way behind the ball and I do not like these plows vs my two BOSS. All of the spreaders are 4yd stainless Salt Dogg's.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The trucks look great. I can see makin dedicated plow trucks in places like Michigan or Maine, but this area isn't know for alotta snow / ice activity. I am however, curious as to why not go with flatbeds (not dump bodys) with the spreaders anchored down? This way the trucks can somehow be worked year round.

Oh! I would have done like the over the road tractors and painted the frames punkin orange while there were no bodies!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

One truck has 265k miles and the other 160k miles. We've gotten heavy in snow and there is a minimum guarantee per truck.....snow or not. We did a great job handling last years customers and were wanted back, and some.

Both trucks have CAT diesels and the 265k will remain a dedicated truck. The 160k will be fitted with a hoist (com'on DVS). This way it can play backup to the International moving equipment, dumpsters etc, as needed, from day to day or even run a job of it's own.........we'll see. Also, we'll probably be doing chemical applications for next winter. I'll have a tank mounted to a set of rails that I can hoist up and go treat. Then, I'll swap for a set of rails that the spreader is on and be ready for plowing.