Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What are the post holes in the new shop for, a vehicle lift or jib crane?????
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I figured on of ya'll would point out "GROW".

Shop is built on fill and these are piers for additional support of the slab to help prevent any potential settling. Concrete will be polished and 5-6" of 3500psi with fiber and rebar 24" OC. Floor will pitch to the center where we've got a drain for washing out the shop or what may come off of trucks/equip.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you setting up the new box trucks for maintenance? Got any more pictures or info of the one your currrently using? How has the maintenance side of things worked out for you? I'm assuming pretty well if your adding two more trucks/crews somehow
Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a guy that preferred lawns over masonry and in late spring of 2009 we went for it and picked up 25 accounts. Nothing to go crazy about but a great learning curve. In 2010 we had 90 accounts, cutting about 60-65 weekly. This season (2011) we have a bold goal of 300 accounts or 100 accounts per truck. I believe we have a very good shot at it with the marketing plan we've put together. Advice? Hire a marketing professional. We, as an industry, often have good ideas but a professional can focus those ideas and throw their own twist to it.

This is the dovetail that I use: http://kandkmanufacturing.com/dovetail.htm

If interested, contact Denise. They're great people to work with and for around $1,500 or so......can't beat it. Very solid, well built, lights included, painted and spring loaded.

Inside? I use $5 hooks from Lowe's/Home Depot. I think it's a bit ridiculous to spend hundreds+ on racks to hold a $200 trimmer and $400 blower.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Shop is built on fill and these are piers for additional support of the slab to help prevent any potential settling. Concrete will be polished and 5-6" of 3500psi with fiber and rebar 24" OC. Floor will pitch to the center where we've got a drain for washing out the shop or what may come off of trucks/equip.
Sounds like a good plan, but don't forget to drain into a catch basin at some point so you have a place for sediment to drop. AND make sure the pipe is well below the frost line outside, I've had to thaw mine twice this winter already, and it's a real PITA.......
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed on going crazy with setting up trucks and trailers. Would you mind sharing some info about your marketing plan? Whos doing the marketing work etc? We've got one in the works but needs to be refined and what not before its put into use. PM me if you would like. Curious to see how your growing like that. Best of luck with all that, sounds like quite the undertaking.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We're just doing 4" SCH40 below the gravel and it will daylight out behind the shop. I don't think we'll have a problem with freezing and if it does it is a minimal amount of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes169 View Post
Sounds like a good plan, but don't forget to drain into a catch basin at some point so you have a place for sediment to drop. AND make sure the pipe is well below the frost line outside, I've had to thaw mine twice this winter already, and it's a real PITA.......
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl28 View Post
Agreed on going crazy with setting up trucks and trailers. Would you mind sharing some info about your marketing plan? Whos doing the marketing work etc? We've got one in the works but needs to be refined and what not before its put into use. PM me if you would like. Curious to see how your growing like that. Best of luck with all that, sounds like quite the undertaking.
I won't go into detail but hire a pro. It's the same as homeowners hiring us. They want a patio and may have a book saying how to do it but there is a lot to be said about experience. I've spent/spending a lot of money with this company to help push my company through the next step. If the company you are speaking to does not frustrate you with detailed questions, wrong company in my opinion. That is why I hired these people. I first wanted a website and I spoke with several that said no problem and showed me examples etc but this company basically said we'll get to the website but first we need to get to know you and your company..............sold.

We all, me too, throw money at equipment but at the same time lets not forget to throw money in areas that will move that equipment and I don't just mean employees.

We're growing and doing very well but I'm unhappy with where we are and therefore changes have to be made. It's just not good enough. Changes in perspective, attitude, efficiency, customer service, brand etc. It's no longer just a job and something fun/cool to say but a business. I may have only had 6 guys this year but that's 6 guys + families.....say 20 people? And when you look at it from the perspective that these people are replying on your efforts, it really causes you to evaluate things, roll up your sleeves and push to really be something. If not, stay where you are if that is what makes you comfortable, there's nothing wrong with that, but for now I'm young and ambitious and the company isn't to the level and standards I require.

I got off topic a little there but 2 cents for anybody interested.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit the nail on the head for me! We're both thinking along nearly the exact same lines. Been looking for a while for a company like the one you speak of, so far no luck. If you care to elaborate on that part, the name of the company or a similar one would be great. I've looked through plenty of companies that dont know the company, where we are and where I want to be, etc. Would be great to partner with a company who cares about those ever so important details.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

As business owners, we should continue educating ourselves. It doesn't have to necessarily deal with plants and stones but simply intelligence. I'd say throw a bunch of good common sense in there with it too. How you run your business, treat your employees etc is all visible to the public. Clean truck vs dirty truck.....there's a message just in that. Doesn't have to be a new model. How you carry yourself, speak and interact with others shows your own intelligence. Customers are attracted to intelligence because that makes them feel confident in you. Watch other companies and see how they appear to you. Pretend your a customer. Why would you or why would you not hire that company?

I've started reading a lot more lately. Books/magazines, talking over investments, running numbers etc and feel much more in tune with both people and my business. The best thing that I have read so far was recommended to me by Jarod....'Becoming a Category of One' by Joe Calloway. I don't really like reading, but I like this book. It uses real businesses as examples and well, just buy it.....$17ish on Amazon.com If you're like me and reading isn't your preferred thing to do.....well it's kinda big print and only about 250 pages haha.

GROW in Dayton, Ohio next week is another such opportunity to educate yourself.