Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hearing your story again makes me smile. Nice work man!

Does the white gate slam with that antique latch/closer system?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

no, like a lightly spring loaded amount of tension
Old 09-21-2007, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
I had 18yrs of life on a beef cattle farm prior to going to Virginia Tech and graduating with a degree in Landscape and Turf Management from the College of Agriculture. Its a very structured 2yr degree in which you are required to take business classes, communications, computer, plants, grasses, pests, fertilizer, design, construction, math........everything dealing directly with the landscape and/or turf industry. Including a 12 week graded internship in the industry......I did mine at TruGreen Landcare.

Came out, went to work for two of northern VA's biggest, high end, residential landscape companies as a foreman 230 miles from the relaxed country living I was used to into the heavy traffic, rude, arrogant, stupid people capital of the state who just happen to have a lot more money. I pick up on things very quickly and became a go to guy. I did irrigation, maint, grading, masonry, installations etc and in doing so gained a lot of experience quickly.

Started in the industry after college June of 2004, got my first license September of 2005 and went full time for myself Mother's Day or 2006 with my Chevy and dump trailer. A lot of business owners in the family, just seemed right thing to do you could say.

I do not advertise, I network. Everything is word of mouth. Not to brag, but I've got more work then time right now and do not want anyone calling me before the end of November. If I was advertising on top of what I've got going now I would probably be going crazy and my hair turning gray before I'm 24.

What I do is work my 'butt' off, for the most part know only my suppliers and/or other people in the industry, SINGLE (theres a kicker) and pull 80-90hr weeks when needed because I also labor on top of the other duties of the business.

As I've said before, I thank my parents most of all. Good family and raising goes a long way, even if I didn't know it back then. They helped me sign for my Chevy and the rest is history.

What about you ALarsh?

Very good story! Your doing way better than i was doing after a year of business!!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Be proud.

I am in my 3rd year of bus. First year full time. I have a truck, dump trailer and dingo now, to me it is all in the labour I have helping. I am 34 and working my butt off cost me my marriage, business is great though!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks ya'll.

As I've been asked before, 'you married?'......nope.......'then have at it'.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, yeah, great story Todd

Can we focus a little bit here ???

Quote:
Its called a 'Cannon Ball and Chain' system. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow with where it came from as I don't have it handy. It came from an antique kind of hardware store that was online.

j/k btw

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was not able to get in touch with the architect that ordered it......home show all day. I sent him a text and awaiting to hear back.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I had 18yrs of life on a beef cattle farm prior to going to Virginia Tech and graduating with a degree in Landscape and Turf Management from the College of Agriculture. Its a very structured 2yr degree in which you are required to take business classes, communications, computer, plants, grasses, pests, fertilizer, design, construction, math........everything dealing directly with the landscape and/or turf industry. Including a 12 week graded internship in the industry......I did mine at TruGreen Landcare.

Came out, went to work for two of northern VA's biggest, high end, residential landscape companies as a foreman 230 miles from the relaxed country living I was used to into the heavy traffic, rude, arrogant, stupid people capital of the state who just happen to have a lot more money. I pick up on things very quickly and became a go to guy. I did irrigation, maint, grading, masonry, installations etc and in doing so gained a lot of experience quickly.

Started in the industry after college June of 2004, got my first license September of 2005 and went full time for myself Mother's Day or 2006 with my Chevy and dump trailer. A lot of business owners in the family, just seemed right thing to do you could say.

I do not advertise, I network. Everything is word of mouth. Not to brag, but I've got more work then time right now and do not want anyone calling me before the end of November. If I was advertising on top of what I've got going now I would probably be going crazy and my hair turning gray before I'm 24.

What I do is work my 'butt' off, for the most part know only my suppliers and/or other people in the industry, SINGLE (theres a kicker) and pull 80-90hr weeks when needed because I also labor on top of the other duties of the business.

As I've said before, I thank my parents most of all. Good family and raising goes a long way, even if I didn't know it back then. They helped me sign for my Chevy and the rest is history.

What about you ALarsh?
Thats great to hear. Well I'm 18 years old, senior in high school. Only do lawn maintenance and plowing, all light stuff, no construction. I have been doing this since freshman year and plan to go to college next year to study business.

My setup
Old 09-23-2007, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I assume you want to stay in the industry. I would recommend minoring in either business or landscape so that you can get a good grasp on both.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the best business men/women are those without the education.

You seem to have it it together tthomass. Good on yah.

And Alarsh, education in college is time away from business. You seem to have it together also. Evening classes and/or a landscaping/business class at the community college are all you need, no need for a degree if this is where your heart is.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a highschool dropout, and a Vet. Been in this industry since my mom married my stepdad, and he's been very supportive. Family also full of small business owners.

=Abe