Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1431  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 AM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
New truck I bought while home for Thanksgiving. This will be rolloff #3.

-Removing the box
-Moving the rear tandem forward
-Chopping the frame
-New rear bumper
-Mounting another rolloff hoist
-(2) 2'x2'x6' polished stainless toolboxes
-Polished stainless fenders
-Painting the truck blue
-Lettering/logo
-Virginia Tech license plate frame

It's a 2002 with less than 47,000 miles in "like new" condition. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Looks nice!

But that's not a "tandem". It's a single axle

__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #1432  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 AM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,179
Congrats on the new truck. Is this one CDL?
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #1433  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Barrett Landscaping Barrett Landscaping is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,202
I have been throwing around the 4 day week as well. Like DVS said my concern is being able to cram everything into the week and be able to keep up with demand.
Reply With Quote
  #1434  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
OSdb OSdb is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
New truck I bought while home for Thanksgiving. This will be rolloff #3.

-Removing the box
-Moving the rear tandem forward
-Chopping the frame
-New rear bumper
-Mounting another rolloff hoist
-(2) 2'x2'x6' polished stainless toolboxes
-Polished stainless fenders
-Painting the truck blue
-Lettering/logo
-Virginia Tech license plate frame

It's a 2002 with less than 47,000 miles in "like new" condition. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.
Who are you having cut and move the axle? I had ESI in Manassas do mine. Can you PM me a price for a 14' or 15' flatbed, I'm still interested in getting one.
__________________
Outdoor Solutions
Reply With Quote
  #1435  
Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 AM
tthomass's Avatar
tthomass tthomass is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N. VA
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSdb View Post
Who are you having cut and move the axle? I had ESI in Manassas do mine. Can you PM me a price for a 14' or 15' flatbed, I'm still interested in getting one.
I'm not a fan of ESI. The guy I bought the truck from is actually removing the body, moving the tandem (just for your DVS) forward and leaving me 4' of frame to work with. My neighbor is an engineer/fabricator and he will assemble the truck for me from that point. PM coming your way.....
Reply With Quote
  #1436  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM
tthomass's Avatar
tthomass tthomass is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N. VA
Posts: 3,445
The truck has air brakes but is 25,500 and does not require CDL. In VA you are not required to have anything until you cross 26,000.

We don't really need the truck yet but since I'm donating a truck we use for snow, I need to replace it. So I figured replace it with a production truck. There were several times we needed another truck and the rolloff just makes sense for us. We stay on maintenance but we still have trucks go down for a day or a few days for various reasons. Currently we have 4 box trucks and we will need 5 next year but I'm probably going to build two for a total of 6. We may or may not need it but the cost is minimal on them and if one goes down we can use the other and keep moving. When we were smaller I couldn't necessarily justify having an extra truck but the more we have the more the odds of one going down for repair. Additionally, who knows what spring will hold. Last year we did about 4 times more maintenance work vs 2011 and this year we're doing 4 times more maintenance work vs 2012. I don't believe that will be the case next year, but double is possible. Take the tax break now, which I need, and be prepared for 2014.
Reply With Quote
  #1437  
Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,115
We have been doing a 4 day work week aswell. For me it was simple math. Before the guys were working five days. It takes an hour in the morning to get out the gate and make it to our job sites. Then figure a hour drive back to the shop in the afternoon, and a half hour to unload and load up for the next day. With an 8 hr day we were only on the job sites for 5.5hrs, that's only 27.5hrs a week. Now we do four 10hr days, with the same time constraints we get 7.5 hours of production a day, which is 30hrs a week.

Working Monday-Thursday is great. We do a lot of 2day irrigation and lighting installs. So we usual schedule one to start Monday then a second for Wednesday. Same with small softscapes. On large construction jobs During the summer we find that a lot of our customers and their neighbors work a 4day week or work from home on Fridays, so they enjoy not listening to our equipment and saws as well.

Another huge benefit is when we need guys to work overtime. Guys are a lot more likely to volenteer to work ot on a Friday than they are on a Saturday. Guys are also less likely to call out for appointments since they have a weekday off to do them. They don't have to take a morning off to go to the dentist or to the DMV, one guy is about to have a baby, his wife schedule all the dr appointments for Fridays. It's definitely been a huge win-win
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #1438  
Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
The truck has air brakes but is 25,500 and does not require CDL. In VA you are not required to have anything until you cross 26,000.

We don't really need the truck yet but since I'm donating a truck we use for snow, I need to replace it. So I figured replace it with a production truck. There were several times we needed another truck and the rolloff just makes sense for us. We stay on maintenance but we still have trucks go down for a day or a few days for various reasons. Currently we have 4 box trucks and we will need 5 next year but I'm probably going to build two for a total of 6. We may or may not need it but the cost is minimal on them and if one goes down we can use the other and keep moving. When we were smaller I couldn't necessarily justify having an extra truck but the more we have the more the odds of one going down for repair. Additionally, who knows what spring will hold. Last year we did about 4 times more maintenance work vs 2011 and this year we're doing 4 times more maintenance work vs 2012. I don't believe that will be the case next year, but double is possible. Take the tax break now, which I need, and be prepared for 2014.
I'm just curious, with it having air brakes, that should require a CDL regardless of the GVW I would think. Did you confirm with VA? Any commercial vehicle with air brakes usually requires an air brake endorsement. Greedy Gov't wants their money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1439  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 PM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I'm just curious, with it having air brakes, that should require a CDL regardless of the GVW I would think. Did you confirm with VA? Any commercial vehicle with air brakes usually requires an air brake endorsement. Greedy Gov't wants their money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ohio is the same way, anything under 26000 even with air brake does not require a cdl.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1440  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM
tthomass's Avatar
tthomass tthomass is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N. VA
Posts: 3,445
What he said ^^^^
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.09133 seconds with 8 queries