Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good looking fleet.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Awesome fleet. No v plows? I got one last year and it changed my life. Cant wait to see when boss steps into the expanding or wing plow arena. Love both my bosses
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the shop!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No v-plows for us, though they are useful. I wish the shop was bigger but I'm holding off until me move. A new location is on the horizon. I want to be able to process our own waste, more room for tractor trailers and bulk materials. Thanks for the compliments, hope everyone is getting plenty of snow!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

So how much round about does one of those switch and go set up cost you? Also where do you get them from and where do you get the bodies think I am going to bite the bullet on one.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The box behind the cab is useful but it depends on what you need the truck to do. One of the trucks is an extra roll off for a driver we've hired to run around, so it will be in and out of places all day vs parked at a job.

Tomorrow we're having an orientation and safety day before kicking off our season on Tuesday. A lot of new hires as we continue to grow and it should be a fun day. I've hired a "safety lady" that does a lot of OSHA compliance things for numerous companies. If you don't have someone coming in and talking about safety or have an actual safety program in place, I recommend it. She costs me $100 per hour that she teaches and even that is broken into 15min blocks.......$100 for training for 25-30 people? Bargain! We'll have her come once a month and we'll start our day 30min early + have donuts etc for everyone. In between, we'll be having weekly safety meetings which may even consist of a quick tailgate chat around lunch time on a job site etc.

Tomorrow we'll be addressing distracted driving and lifting techniques specifically. I'm also having pictures printed of the below accidents and put them up in the shop as a reminder. Six weeks ago my truck was totaled in a very bad accident. A gentleman driving the wrong way hit the Bronco in front of me and while he was flipping, I t-boned him at highway speed. According to the computer on the truck, my part of the accident took place in only 1.5 seconds. That was 1.5 seconds of reaction time before airbag deployment. The guy driving the wrong way was killed, the guy in the Bronco has a long road ahead of him (messed up leg) but survived and I was blessed to walk away. Remind your guys to buckle up, it likely saved my life that night vs being in my dash/windshield/airbag. You likely can't do anything in 1.5 seconds but touch the brakes and go along for the ride. Be safe this season!
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wow! that looks horrible glad your ok!

what happened in the sng accident? looks like the frame gave right out on that.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the pictures of your truck scare me enough that im going to start putting my belt on every time i get in the truck. Ive gotten very bad with never doing it and having a defiant attitude towards it " because i shouldnt be told what to do" thats bone head thinking and i will die with that thinking.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The International was totaled six years ago this April. He ran off the road, there's no shoulder and into the ditch/driveway he went.

My accident was brought to me you could say. My driving was fine, I was doing everything right but another figure was added to that equation that had nothing to do with what I was doing. Before I knew what was happening, I was in the middle of it. The initial head-on collision I did not see clearly. There was suddenly a gray cloud/explosion in my headlights in front of my truck that blinded me and flat out confused me because I did not understand what I was looking at. After I passed through that cloud the Bronco was right there in front of me flipping sideways and 4' in the air. I hit the brakes and then hit him. There was nothing else that could have been done, but thankfully we both survived. I decided last minute that night to drive my truck vs car too. My Guardian Angel was with me that night and hats off to the guys that design these trucks, it did it's job well.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
I think the pictures of your truck scare me enough that im going to start putting my belt on every time i get in the truck. Ive gotten very bad with never doing it and having a defiant attitude towards it " because i shouldnt be told what to do" thats bone head thinking and i will die with that thinking.
Thankfully we listen to what stoplights and signs tell us to do

You can drive perfect but you can't control what someone else does or simply blowing a tire that sends you flipping.