Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2007, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you are correct it has bipening, but it still won't take much for a root once it it through the basket to begin to grow and get it self or other roots girdled by the basket as it grows....if you think about out, to take some wire snips and remove at least the top half of the basket you gaurantee this problem will never happen.

It adds about five minutes to the total job.... removes any doubt about any future root issues, and prefents any metal from finding its way to the surface for a kid to trip on a or a lawn mower to run over.

Yeah I agree that with the basket intact it makes it much easier to remove a dead tree, but I don't plant a tree and make it easy to remove when it dies....and if its that big, you'll need a peice of equipment on site to move a new one in place so it really doesn't make it any easier or harder.

Its good practice to remove as much of the basket, studies have shown that you can go either way...My preference....remove....plant and take care of it so you don't have to replace it.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's an article in last months TURF magazine about the do's and don'ts about planting trees. This one expert idiot that supposedly owns a nursery/tree farm says you should always remove the burlap. I laughed when I read this. Like tthomass and yardpro said, for something that big we usually leave it but do cut some from around the top of the ball. I was always interested in seeing how others plant their stuff compared to the way we do it. The deep watering thing is a good idea.

tthomass, You guys use Tree Gators out there or no? They work great but you gotta refill them pretty often.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the nice thing about tree gators when you leave the job it does make it easier for the client to water the trees, provided they don't have to drag too much hose...and easy for you to say...when the bag is empty fill it again...
Old 10-20-2007, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While you're at it, mightn's well sell em on the irrigation system. That way they don't have to do the hoses.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This property is going to be fully irrigated. One Friday we put Gator bags on the trees and filled them.

So, the trees got a really good deep watering to saturate the soil around them and when all was said and done the Gator bags (20gal) were put on them. We'll fill them once a week.

Just to clarify, we cut the burlap to basket. The 200ish larger boxwoods we're installing on site.......we removed the basket and burlap totally. Basically, trees we usually leave, shrubs we remove. Yews and Otto Luyken we leave because the root systems usually suck so we don't want the ball falling apart and the plant dying. Any thing with a potentially loose ball is planted together/in tact.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How can you put the tree in the ground before untying the burlap and finding the crown?

Often the crown can be 2-3" below the top of the root ball.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you leave the soil level on the brick this high? Or was that just rough grading?

www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A) Crown......we often have more problem with that on something like a Maple, not a Crape. The Crape is planted elevated to the grade around it. If there was an issue with the crown we're good to solve it. Should it be the picture......thats about 3" of water.

B) Grade......whats wrong with the soil on the brick? Doesn't look high at all to me. The patio is 1" higher. Yes this is rough as it only needs smoothing and trash collected but its pretty much at grade.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Todd - I don't know if you noticed or not, but your hose is partially covered w/ soil. Just another worthless observation if you are interested!. LOL!

Chris
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There's still not mulch either.......oops.

I didn't follow the grade question. I know some houses have concrete below the brick but this house is bricked on all sides and below grade.