Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks!

For what its worth, I'm very happy with my T190. I'm around 1,200 hrs already and most would be surprised what it can do. I beat the hell out of that machine in the since that its not a shop trophy and do more than most do with it. A T300 or T250 will most likely be coming this fall. Additionally, we're permitted and ready to build the shop for our winter project.

When I get around to taking pictures I'll put up some stuff for ya'll. Winter was dead but that was what I wanted because I was burnt out. I also had just purchased that property and wanted the time off for a ton of work that was needed. The remodeling of the house we did ourselves and makes for good use of a salaried employee. Spring came but it went too. We were steady but slow and it got slower. Finally everything I'd been working on started clicking and I just contracted two more jobs tonight pushing us through September and I'm about at the point where I was end of year last year.......hence the reason for another Bobcat before Obama takes it.

So yeah, its been a rollercoaster but I've learned a lot about $ this year for sure. My company is almost out of debt and my mortgage almost down to nothing. I really tightened things up when spring was slow after dumping a pile of $ into the property. With that reality check I also started up mowing this year to put my white Chevy back to work that had been sitting there.

Next year mowing will be a solid 5 day workout of 100-125 lawns for a two man crew vs the current one man crew mowing 35 in two days. This will allow my long time, part time, guy to become full time and give me another person to plow snow. Most likely in the T300/250 as I can just put the expense of another plow towards the purchase of that machine and get more use out of it.

Currently I'm able to run two jobs at once and employee three people with plenty of toys at their disposal. Here's an interesting point too.......our ages are 25, 23, 22 and 20. My "guy" (who I've known for about 19yrs) has learned a lot so he's being thrown to the wolves here and there. Soooo, yeah, thats where I'm at and how things are going.

I've been very fortunate despite what CNN tells me my business is doing.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sold the 10' dump trailer I started with this winter and my 14' dump trailer that came with my Bobcat too. The 10' just wasn't being used at all and the 14' was being used to pull the Bobcat and a PITA for pallets as it would only hold 3 and I could only reach the first 2 with the Bobcat. Sometimes #2 would break and make a mess = time.

Picked this up a month ago. Its a 22' dove tail and 14k GVW. I can put up to 6 pallets of material on it being a deck over (no stupid fenders in the way). Also makes securing the load quick and easy......especially the Bobcat. Anybody looking for a good trailer let me know as I've bought a couple from this guy. He's in Roanoke, VA and this one he had at $4,075 and I got it a little under that but great to work with, great quality and great price.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Sold the 10' dump trailer I started with this winter and my 14' dump trailer that came with my Bobcat too. The 10' just wasn't being used at all and the 14' was being used to pull the Bobcat and a PITA for pallets as it would only hold 3 and I could only reach the first 2 with the Bobcat. Sometimes #2 would break and make a mess = time.

Picked this up a month ago. Its a 22' dove tail and 14k GVW. I can put up to 6 pallets of material on it being a deck over (no stupid fenders in the way). Also makes securing the load quick and easy......especially the Bobcat. Anybody looking for a good trailer let me know as I've bought a couple from this guy. He's in Roanoke, VA and this one he had at $4,075 and I got it a little under that but great to work with, great quality and great price.
deckovers are the best..

Here is ours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whats the actual deck space on that? 20'? Looks a little bigger, I'm 18'. Certainly the way to go. I see no reason to get a fender trailer because you're limiting yourself so much.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks!
So yeah, its been a rollercoaster but I've learned a lot about $ this year for sure. My company is almost out of debt and my mortgage almost down to nothing. I really tightened things up when spring was slow after dumping a pile of $ into the property.
How long have you been in business with debt???? Seems like I always have something to pay for
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have a different opinion

We have an 8x18 deck over with a 4' tail (22' overall). I bought it new in 1994. I hate it. Way too big of a trailer for your typical skid steer. One of these days it's gonna be replaced with a nice little 18 footer with no tail and no deck over. Yeah, there was a time when I *thought* we needed such a beast. Reality is......we DON'T!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Ohio Scaper View Post
How long have you been in business with debt???? Seems like I always have something to pay for
Debt being that all equipment/trucks paid for freeing up that extra bit of $$ each month. Lowering overhead so that should things be slow I can float a long a lot easier and even if necessary lower my price and still make the same $$ on a job. Fortunately things are busy vs slow and throw in everything being paid for........well the more the better. The idea is to get away from payments and obligations to operate in an even more profitable manner.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Well, I have a different opinion

We have an 8x18 deck over with a 4' tail (22' overall). I bought it new in 1994. I hate it. Way too big of a trailer for your typical skid steer. One of these days it's gonna be replaced with a nice little 18 footer with no tail and no deck over. Yeah, there was a time when I *thought* we needed such a beast. Reality is......we DON'T!
If moving a skid steer is the biggest need then sure. My need is moving pallets. Also, the additional deck space is really nice.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Debt being that all equipment/trucks paid for freeing up that extra bit of $$ each month. Lowering overhead so that should things be slow I can float a long a lot easier and even if necessary lower my price and still make the same $$ on a job. Fortunately things are busy vs slow and throw in everything being paid for........well the more the better. The idea is to get away from payments and obligations to operate in an even more profitable manner.
Good for you! When O sh!t won the election, I started a fast track of paying off debts. I only have about 65k left on my commercial building and when the real recession/depression hits I will be a great position.

I love the deck over, I have a very similar trailer. It will haul six pallets of sod and occassionally my TL150 with attachments.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Whats the actual deck space on that? 20'? Looks a little bigger, I'm 18'. Certainly the way to go. I see no reason to get a fender trailer because you're limiting yourself so much.
21ft with a 3ft dovetail..

we went deckover because its hard to find that long of a between the axle. Atleast without special ordering. Really we coulda got by with an 18ft between the axle, but it woulda been rough, It would be tight with the 300, bush hog, grapple and bucket, thats for sure! Our next trailer will be a 30ft(25ft with a 5ft dovetail) deckover 10ton gooseneck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!