Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They normally sell for around $6,300.

That barn is in very rough shape. I told the customer I wouldn't want my horses (ponies actually) in there. It has no structure, literally. All built with 1x material. Best thing to do is throw a match to it and build new. Lumber/tin/hardware etc from a mill would only be about $5k.

I'll get finished pictures of the driveway up later. I've been by a few times since completing and its been raining every time. Turned out real nice. We'll be doing walkways off both sides (to the front door and to the back deck) in the spring. Ideally, they would have been done first and exited the property installing the driveway. Now I'll have about 1500SF+ of sod to restore from the Bobcat and I am unable to get direct ship pricing due to a smaller project. We don't do a lot of pavers but I've got a paver job pending and perhaps can group the orders if I can collect a deposit now.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

currently......
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

-Black slate walkway
-Cut, every single little piece, granite border
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very classy yard sign. How are you hitting the bottom step? The picture looks like it will end up with a trip type rise.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. Both risers are equal at 7 1/2". The bottom riser does have a little dirt on it, perhaps making it look smaller.

Not much was done today with the rain. I'd guess we only set about 50SF. Nice weather tomorrow and we'll rock-n-roll with it. In a perfect world we'd finish in time for Thanksgiving but it just can't happen with the additions the project received vs what we were looking at in the beginning. Walkway is about 500SF.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I went to upload a progress picture from Friday to find it was blurry. Most of the walkway is down. We were able to get some set today before the rain and finished the day cutting the granite for the border below. I'll try for more pictures tomorrow.

We were behind 1 1/2 days, due to rain, and set out Friday to see how much stone we could lay and I was impressed. Finished the day at about 175 SF in 31 man hours which included mixing our own mortar, which we do by hand (3 of us).
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't it make sense to pick up a small mixer to save time? Toss in a bag of portland, sand, water and your guys can be laying in a minute with fresh shoulders, not worn out from mixing.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I do like the yard sign. ? for ya though...why did you guys make island so pointed? Or is it just the way the picture looks? Nice lines every where looks like a fun job.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago I bought a small electric mixer. Easy to transport, inexpensive, and it has saved me countless hours (not to mention wear and tear on my back).
The sign is great.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've got an electric mixer, from Lowe's. I use it for concrete, not mortar. We've never been happy with the consistency of the mortar produced by a mixer.....always too wet which then makes a mess and causes stones to slide/float. It sticks in the back and doesn't turn loose unless you keep adding water........its just doesn't mix well. I don't know how ya'll mix it but we use a hoe in a wheel barrow + good posture.......really not difficult. We exchange mixing and everything runs smoothly. If the mixer would work, I'd use it.

The island, within the walkway, does come to a point. The opinion of the homeowners has changed and we'll be pouring in a couple bags of concrete to make it into a tight curve.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully more pics soon.