Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wanted 10gal but they are not available so I had to settle for some thick 7's. They are just as dense but lacking the height. Doesn't really matter in the back but the front stoop would look better if taller.

Bit of a formal look going on. The Oakleaf's will double in size next year and everything should come in strong. Great soil + compost added. Really like to see how everything is in 3yrs, full but not overgrown......nice.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a fan of Nandina's, "Firepower" specifically. Up here, they don't have 10gal's in stock eaither, only 5's and 7's. Wonder if its coincidence or not.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was talking to Country Springs and they said they just aren't out there. I imagine the same thing with Cryptomeria. The bigg'ns aren't available because growers have sold their crops and now are holding out on the next size down so that they can sell them as bigg'ns next year.

Do you use Country Springs? I get a lot of plants from them and its all great stuff. I also use the Perennail Farm, thats up your way.

I use 'Firepower' also, just not lately. You can do 'Firepower' in front of 'Heavenly Bamboo' for a lot of color, looks nice.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Country Springs Nursery is a bit far from me. I use my local Shemin Nursery, which is maybe 10 minutes tops from where I'm at. Also, speaking of the Perennial Farm, do you drive up here at all, or just get deliveries? I know its a hike from VA.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Todd -

Like you new chevy. When I bought my 06 GMC I didn't like the front ends of the Chevy, now I'm not sold on the new GMC's but like the Chevy. Go figure.

One small piece of advise with these Duramax's. Change the fuel filter every 15,000 miles! Every diesel I've had I've always run 50-75k on a fuel filter. We were headed out on vacation last weekend, towing the boat, and the thing went into limp mode. Apparently GM uses a much smaller micron filter, when it drops to a certain low fuel pressure it throws it into limp mode and the engine light comes on. You can't go more than 45 mph and you lose 50% power until you get it changed. Fortunately we made it to a dealership in NY and they swapped it out. So when that gauge on your dash says change fuel filter at xx% it means it.

Good luck with it. That diesel pulls like no other.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The dealer actually told me to change every 10,000 miles but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the little computer.

I just put in my first tank of fuel tonight but with the test drives and screwing around I couldn't figure the mileage. What do you typically see and did you see it improve over XXX miles as I have heard a few mention?

You're certainly right about pulling. I must say I was pleasantly suprised at the power.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At first the mpg was pretty crappy and I was a little disappointed. But after about 10,000 miles it climbed to around 17-21 depending on where I'm going. Towing a decent load I'm still around 11-15, which truly isn't bad.

The dealer probably wasn't kidding. Unfortunately my dealer never advised me of that. In a maintenace book that comes with the truck, its a fine line between what is overkill and what really needs to be done. I'd say change the fuel filter every other oil change to be safe.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 09-08-2007, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had hoped to sleep in this morning. Problem was, I never thought how long so I only got 30min extra and headed out to spend a day in the dirt! Cut a swale for water to flow. Barely got 2% and had to go a long ways to get that. Pool guy built the pool 1' lower then he was supposed to making a mess of things.

The little Bobcat that could:
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2007, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get in there!
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not 2% here.......on one side of the hole is the electric for the pool and on the other side of the hole is the gas for the pool. I cut right across the top and couldn't go anymore so this will retain water that does not quite 'flow'. Careful digging.
Attached Images