Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shindy Trimmer leaking gas out carb

I have a Shindaiwa t260 which is about 4 yrs old. When it sits on trailer with the carb pointed down, gas seeps into the air filter and then out on the ground. I don't know of a float in 2-cycles. Any idea what might be allowing the gas to run out. Does it just need a carb kit? It still runs good at high speed, but it will die sometimes if I let it idle down too much.

Thanks.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a shindy trimmer that is about 7 yrs old and had the same problem. There should be a fuel kit you can buy from your dealer. Not expensive. Just install it and it will run like new. I installed it on mine and no problems since. Runs great.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the trimmer is exposed to the sun as well as bouncing around during travel the tank will develop pressure and force gas out the carb. You could also have an inlet needle that has become ineffective so a carb rebuild could possible help both of your problems. From my experience in a shop, this is a common problem with trimmers that are constantly exposed to the sun and/or carried in a trimmer rack on a trailer.

Dutch