Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Replacing rope on echo backpack?

Hi,
This job is turning into a nightmare and I know it is only a 10 min job. I pulled off the assembly but leaving recoil intact, removed old broken rope, wound up the recoil wheel for tension, now I am trying to feed rope through hole, but the rope keeps getting frayed ends while pushing through. I tried using a lighter to singe to keep from fraying, but now its to big to push through still. I tried wetting it and twisting it, but still wont fit through the hole. If someone can tell me the trick to this, it would be greatly appreciated. The rope appears to be the same thickness that the old rope was. The dealer told me that I have the correct rope. Thanks for any help
3- 36" walk behinds
16'X8' trailer
3 Stihl FS100 weedwackers,
2 echo PB-650 backpack blowers,
1 Little Wonder 11hp blower.
Lesco walk behind Aerator
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

tape the end. burn it and roll in in your fingers to make a point
Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher66 View Post
I tried using a lighter to singe to keep from fraying, but now its to big to push through still. I tried wetting it and twisting it, but still wont fit through the hole.
I use a lighter to set the end of the rope on fire, let it burn for a few seconds and then use a shop rag, doubled over to draw the end out to a point. It will be as hard as a rock with a point on it. I also have a pair of electronic needle nose pliers that will fit down into the little hole to help fish it out once I have it in the reel

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Instead of fussing with trying to get the rope through the hole with the reel intact why don't you just remove the reel, clean, lubricate and inspect the recoil spring at the same time? To me it's much quicker and a lot less frustrating to do so and you get the benefit of a clean and lubed recoil spring. Just my two pennies.

Dutch
Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Instead of fussing with trying to get the rope through the hole with the reel intact why don't you just remove the reel, clean, lubricate and inspect the recoil spring at the same time? To me it's much quicker and a lot less frustrating to do so and you get the benefit of a clean and lubed recoil spring. Just my two pennies.
Dutch
I work on alot of Tanakas, the old style have the spring in the end of the start cover, so it's easy to pull the reel out with out blowing the spring. The newer style have the spring mounted to the reel itself, which I like. But when you have the guy sitting there waiting to get back to work because he only has the one trimmer well, you do what you can the get the guy out the door and happy

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept