Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deal of the Day

http://catused.cat.com/en/Equipment/.../For-Sale.aspx

Creative Hardscapes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay thats a machine you would want to run like h*ll from its been abused. If the machine only had 700 hours on it and it looks like that it has had a operator that is hard on equipment.

Unless Cat's quality is really poor and the machine wears out quick a machine that is 3 years old should be in better shape than that.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats about what it should be price wise.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a deal at all, it's worth about $23K tops. We had the option to buy an '05 257B with 600 hours and could have bought it for $20K. And yeah, that machine looks like it's been beat on a little, not bad, but not an owner/operator machine for sure.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might check Iron Planet. If you want a used CAT MTL or skid steer that is the place to go. Especially if you live East of the Miss. I agree with Scag. The pins are only fair after 700 hours. That is as they say "a clue". I would let that one go. Most likely a rental unit I would guess. I would also inspect the undercarriage very closely and would not trust the dealer to do that for you. If you don't know what to look for talk to someone that does. After spending over 20K you could find yourself digging in your pocket for substantially more.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it looks pretty rough. That bucket also is a good indication it has been used a good bit.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Its interesting, in that ad, there is no place to give the condition of the tracks or rollers.
Since this is a major problem with these machines it looks like they are trying to keep that information hidden.
If you buy a 257B/247B be prepared to spend BIG $$$$ on that undercarriage.
Believe me I know.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

You look at the tracks on the machine and the big tears in them they were digging in rock of some kind. You also don't wear a cutting edge of a bucket out that quicky unless its being abused. Then it says boom pins fair didn't this machine see any grease ?

Would I buy that machine probably not its been run way too hard and probably needs major work.

Only one contractor in the area has a CTL it is a Cat. I think its 257 I forgot the model number. Its handy the machine goes places where a rubber tired skid steer can't. With a good operator the machine can do a good job on small clearing and grading jobs. I never run a CLT but have run wheeled skids they are not comfortable to operate.

The CTLs should have a stronger running gear and the option for steel tracks. Rubber tracks are not the greatest if your working in sharp conditions like running on rock or working in landclearing where your running over broken off tree limbs etc. The contractor with the CTL in the area hasn't needed to do undercarriage work to his machine yet its not even a year old yet.