Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Part Time Lawn Care Business

Currently, I Only Have Saturdays And Some Sundays To Mow, Are There Any Part Time Lawn Businesses That Can Tell Me How Many Customers They Can Handle On The Weekends Only? Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One. I think you need to re-think what lawn care is. If you start off saying your only going to do it on two of the seven days there is in a week, you may not realize what professional lawn care means. You should stay with just your own lawn if you are only willing to work weekends. PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Two. I think this is posted in the wrong forum. Should have posted it in "Starting A Lawn Care & Landscaping Business". Read some previous posts and do some searches on here.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I suggest that you do some sincere networking and find a 'mentor', or someone around town that does the same thing as you're trying to do, who is out of your 'territory' if you have one (or doesn't care), WHO DOESN'T CARRY A HUGE EGO, and takes pride in taking the 'newcomer' to the field under their wing. It starts by taking up conversations with other professionals at places where you buy commercial mowers, mower parts, and even commercial fertilizers and pesticides.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

thought

What if the grass excedes your growing expectations and it needs cutting sooner than your weekend time frame? What is your backup plan? Just curious - it happens more often than you would think. Something to consider for sure.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 14 accounts now and I work 2-3 hrs a day 2-3 days a week just for mowing. I mow anywhere between 7-12 lawns a week. The lawns are all under 8k sq feet and take on average 1/2 hr. I use a 48 inch stander. My lawns average 35$. During the spring and fall I will work some Saturdays and maybe take a day or two off from my regular job for all the extra work outside of the mowing. Lots of factors may be different for you but hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Queen View Post
What if the grass excedes your growing expectations and it needs cutting sooner than your weekend time frame? What is your backup plan? Just curious - it happens more often than you would think. Something to consider for sure.
Well I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that drives up to each of their accounts EVERY day to see if they need mowed early or not. By the way, I'm not trying to be mouthy just curious how you know....
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMow View Post
Well I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that drives up to each of their accounts EVERY day to see if they need mowed early or not. By the way, I'm not trying to be mouthy just curious how you know....
Slow Mow. Once you know your accounts, you know when they need mowing. Things like what ones have irrigation, what ones are fertilized, how much sun they receive. I have some that I know that they will need it every five days if we get steady rainfall, and at the same time others in the same area (with different soil make up) that go seven. Me never mow the same jobs on the same day each week. Bad business, and not good for the lawn. And we are part time, with 14 current, active, full service accounts.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Being a LCO usually entails more than just mow and go. The accounts that only want the grass chopped and driveway blown, are the pain in the arse come and go accounts. they never stay with you long and are not worth having. the good accounts are the ones that want full service. They care about their lawn, want beds mulched and maintained, lawn fertilized, and other various addons. I would venture to say 90% of weekenders last a season or 2 at the most. Then its either on to full time or you see their equipment in the paper for sale.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMow View Post
When you make your living in this business you pay attention to how the grass grows.