Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Small Engine Repair Help...

Couldn't find a forum for repair, so I'm guessing this one is ok.

First, let me say that I'm not a "landscaper" -- I do have one or two folks whose grass I cut, but I do primarily power washing and painting.

That said, I have a Craftsman mower with a 6.5hp Briggs engine...it's 2 years old and won't start. It ran fine Tuesday, and Wednesday we tossed it in our truck, got to a customer's house and no good. Luckily we had my buddy's Cub Cadet with us...

But anyway...

I brought it home and tried a little starting fluid. It ran on the starting fluid, but died after. It would even run with I would just prime it...then it would stall unless I kept priming it.

So I figure the carb is clogged. I take the carb off and clean it out with carb cleaner, get it nice and good, put it back on, no good. So I figure bad gas...swap out the gas. No good, same thing...so I figure it was probably the carb and now from all the messing around I fouled the plug, so I get a plug...no good.

The guy at the parts store said that I should get it started with starter fluid, stand beside it and when it starts to stall, put my hand over the intake for a brief moment...so I tried this, and it works. I just had it running for about 5 minutes like that, but as soon as I stopped with my hand, she just stops running.

Any clue what that would be?

I did find a nice John Deere zero turn 21" at a place nearby used for $150...I'm thinking about jumping on that...but it has a 6.75 Briggs engine...and I think I should stick with Honda or Kaw...thoughs on that as well.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The primer bulb may have a crack in it.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If its a pumper card the diaphram is bad.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Someone mentioned the primer having a hole...If I duct tape it up, that should tell me, right?

What is a pumper card? lol...thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh...just checked, and I dont think so...This carb had a floater and seemed to operate on air going into it or something. I'm more of a fuel injection guy, so forgive my ignorance.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK, since its a float carb the low speed jets are plugged. You will have to remove carb, remove float bowl and then the float...allowing access to the two jets (Both high and low speed). Remove these jets and with a bristle from a wire brush run it through the jets removing and deposits/gunk. In the future drain carb before you place in storage during winter.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the main jet in very bottom of the carb is plugged. It looks like its function is to hold on the float bowl, but its a jet. Blow it out with spray carb cleaner then compressed air.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I hear what you're saying and appreciate it.

I'm a little confused though...

In the carb, when I take off the bowl, then remove the float, there is a little hole above the float (but behind where I would think the jets would be). There is a rubber seal up there and a pointy rod attached to the float goes up and presses against that seal. When I blow carb cleaner into that hole, it comes out by the intake port just fine.

Then, there is a large hole that goes all the way to the top like a hollow tube that comes out inside the intake port. This hole is cleaned out just fine.

Then, next to that larger hole, there is a smaller hole that the hose *just* fits into and seals. I spray and nothing happens...it actually holds the pressure of the carb cleaner can...and when I pull the hose out, it releases all the pressure. Does that one need cleaned out too?

Should I take it apart and take a picture of these holes?

I really appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to do as Barnard said and your problem will most likely be solved.

The main jet is incorporated with the bowl nut and that is whats clogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could be the float is stuck, too...

That little rod it slings on gets a bit dirty, next thing you know it doesn't act quite right, fuel gets in but not enough...

Anyhow, pull that bowl thing apart again and spray it all out real good with carb cleaner, real nice and heavy, then if you have compressed air spray it with that, then more carb cleaner, clean it all out real good, soak it, shouldn't take a whole can but don't be afraid to use the stuff, then visually inspect it and make sure everything is clean, it should work after that.

btw try running BP 93 premium from here on out, it's all I use on carb'd engines, keeps the gunk out.