Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV's Mowing View Post
just wondering do you charge by the job or by the hour, and also how many times do you come back for one house, i have an echo shred n' vac blower, rake, and tarp, also a brand new commercial toro with bag, side discharge, and mulch so i dn what im going to do but i was thinking 20 an hour or so, also im only doing my lawn costomers so i dn if i would just do it when i mow or what...im not sure yet, first year for fall clean-ups and i have about 15 costomers
I've been thinking about this too. I'm leaning toward the idea of charging by the hour, because this is the only way that it is fair for you and the customer. You can still give them a quote, but try and base it off of how much time it will take you. As far as charging 20/hr, I know that a lot of guys on here will think that your nuts, but here is what I'm gonna do. This year I'm gonna advertise heavily for fall cleanups. I'm gonna charge my existing customers (mowing accounts) around 20 per man per hour (2 man crew). But with any new customers that I pick up, I'm gonna try charging more like 40 per man per hour, because I'm in the early stages of business and I want to experiment a little. I want to see what the market can bare around here. I will either be the lowest priced (doubt it), in the middle(that's what I'm expecting), or the highest (very unlikely). But, charge what you KNOW you can get from your good customers, and charge what you want to see if you can get from other people. Good luck to you. Brant
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a charge per job plus I add on an hourly rate. The leaf plow is so fast and efficient that you tend to loose money if you just do an hourly rate. When I use my leaf plow everyone wants to watch. I use no tarps and rake very little.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnut101 View Post
I've been thinking about this too. I'm leaning toward the idea of charging by the hour, because this is the only way that it is fair for you and the customer. You can still give them a quote, but try and base it off of how much time it will take you. As far as charging 20/hr, I know that a lot of guys on here will think that your nuts, but here is what I'm gonna do. This year I'm gonna advertise heavily for fall cleanups. I'm gonna charge my existing customers (mowing accounts) around 20 per man per hour (2 man crew). But with any new customers that I pick up, I'm gonna try charging more like 40 per man per hour, because I'm in the early stages of business and I want to experiment a little. I want to see what the market can bare around here. I will either be the lowest priced (doubt it), in the middle(that's what I'm expecting), or the highest (very unlikely). But, charge what you KNOW you can get from your good customers, and charge what you want to see if you can get from other people. Good luck to you. Brant
I wouldn't vary your prices from customer to customer. Definitely charge $40 per hour though. it's impossible to estimate exactly how long a clean up will take so charge per hour, make sure you work hard though. 20 is cheating yourself especially if you have professional equipment
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree $20/hr way to cheap. We are all professionals with expensive equipment. The way I look at it is you have to put a price on your time. My regulars get a better price than just a 1st time customer. When I do a clean up I usually have 2 backpack blowers and a 60inch exmark with the leaf plow all running at the same time with 2 guys. I have to charge more than just the 2 man hrs for an hour. Sometimes I have a 8hp push blower running too.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBERS View Post
I agree $20/hr way to cheap. We are all professionals with expensive equipment. The way I look at it is you have to put a price on your time. My regulars get a better price than just a 1st time customer. When I do a clean up I usually have 2 backpack blowers and a 60inch exmark with the leaf plow all running at the same time with 2 guys. I have to charge more than just the 2 man hrs for an hour. Sometimes I have a 8hp push blower running too.
So what do you charge your regulars vs. your 1 timers?
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Stihl BG55, SH85
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$20 is way too cheap if u are using pro equipment. U gotta think about the gas it takes to get to the job/s, power your stuff, pay for any wear and tear, and so on. $40/hr is closer to right I'd say ( per man hr)
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnut101 View Post
$20/hr? Forget that! I can stay at my regular job and make that on overtime sitting on my butt and not having to fool with with hassle of equipment and fuel! $40/hr? MAYYYYYYYYYYBE....if I average in my drive time to get there and back. If I ain't making AT LEAST $60/hr in the time I spend on the job, I look at it like I've lost money. Remember my opening line. $20/hr, on my butt doing next to nothing.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
$20/hr? Forget that! I can stay at my regular job and make that on overtime sitting on my butt and not having to fool with with hassle of equipment and fuel! $40/hr? MAYYYYYYYYYYBE....if I average in my drive time to get there and back. If I ain't making AT LEAST $60/hr in the time I spend on the job, I look at it like I've lost money. Remember my opening line. $20/hr, on my butt doing next to nothing.
I agree with you, however, I don't have a booming business yet and I have very low overhead. I will be making plenty of money charging 40/man. Next year as my business grows, then I can get into the 60/man hour range.
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Stihl BG55, SH85
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBERS View Post
I use a BR600 and a jrco leaf plow on my exmark works great.
What is that ? Got pix?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

thank you for all of your input...i live in the neighborhood i mostly work in and im 16...if i said 40 dollars an hour people would laugh at me and slam their door in my face, they all think im the neighbor kid and blah blah blah...i think ill see how it goes with the first couple costomers
-2007 Echo hand held shred/vac blower
-Ryobi curved shaft trimmer, with back up blower attatchment
((more on the way for next year!))