Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawisaki engine bad on toro??? suggestions please.

ive got a 2003 17 hp kawisaki F500V recoil on my toro. it takes me about 30 pulls to get the engine started!! i dont know what to do. and its getting annoying. ive changed the spark plugs and checked the airfilter, and i set the choke, so any suggetions would help.

are there any better spark plugs i can get??? thanks
-1999 Scag SWZ Hydro Walk-Behind 17hp Kawasaki 52" Deck
-T230 Shindaiwa Trimmer w/ Speed Feed
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-Stihl KM110R w/ Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonsLawnCare View Post
ive changed the spark plugs and checked the airfilter, and i set the choke, so any suggetions would help.

are there any better spark plugs i can get??? thanks
You mentioned setting the choke, are you sure it is fully closing and if yes, try pushing the plate with your finger and make sure it stays shut even if you put some pressure on it.

Did it always start hard or is this something it just started doing? How many hours?

Regards,

Eric D
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

make sure you are getting a good spark.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i push the choke all the way down. he choke is attached to the speed thing where you can set it in low gear/rpm's. i bought this mower last fall from a guy who didnt need it anymore. its always taken about 15 to 20 pulls to start, but now its gotten worse. the guy i bought it from said he had left it outside and it got some weathering. its only got about 150 hours on the whole machine. from what i can tel, the guy was hard on the mower cause of squeaking brakes and other small things. i bought the mower for only $1850 and its a belt drive. the one in my signature.
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

15 to 20 pulls to start it should of raised your eyebrows a bit. Thats rediculous. My kawi after sitting for 3 months took all of 3 pulls with choke to start it. On that note it could be a number of things. Are the plugs fouling ? is the spark strong ? Carb could need adjusting rebuilding. Given the number of things to go wrong and you cant find an obvious problem I would take it to the nearest dealer and at least pay his diagnostic charge. Would probably pay for itself in a year with the rate you will be going thru starter ropes.

If it sat outside and it has some squeaks you need to locate these and lubricate it properly. Could be something as simple as a choke adjustment (this is always a likley cause) or something as major as mechanical probs. You dont mention if its blowing oil or the condition of the plugs. I assume you changed the fuel filter and keep your air filter clean ?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

my 2 cents.... as far as mechanical maintenance. What about removing the carb and cleaning it? There may be rust settlements in the bowl or carbon build up that could be causing the rough start. How does the mower idle? Does it run smoothly at proper operating temp? If you think the previous owner has been rough on it, the first thing I would look into is the cleaning of the carb or possibly throwing a rebuild kit in it. If that doesn't clear up the concern.... Maybe check compression with a cheap compression gauge from auto zone? How does the mower idle? Does it run smooth at proper operating temp? Just a few ideas to hopefully work out your problem.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, when i idle it it shuts off after about 30 seconds from lack of gas, i changed the gas filter and still same problem. i checked the plugs and the are not fouled. and im not that good with engines so i dont know where the carb is located. im still in the process of learning everything there is to know about fixing my mower, so bare with me. i took it to the shop about 2 months ago to get a new clutch and i told them to go over the engine very well to see if there was anymore problems. they didnt find anything except that the choke/gear rpm's adjuster didnt go into low gear cause of some spring. they fixed it so its cool now. everything else seems to be running good....
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonsLawnCare View Post
i push the choke all the way down. he choke is attached to the speed thing where you can set it in low gear/rpm's. i bought this mower last fall from a guy who didnt need it anymore. its always taken about 15 to 20 pulls to start, but now its gotten worse. the guy i bought it from said he had left it outside and it got some weathering. its only got about 150 hours on the whole machine. from what i can tel, the guy was hard on the mower cause of squeaking brakes and other small things. i bought the mower for only $1850 and its a belt drive. the one in my signature.
Mine starts on first pull if the choke is on second if its not. Kaws are very good engines and will run forever with proper service. Its sounds like a carb problem. Is there a strong smell of gas after several pulls? I would rebuild the carb especially if its seen alot of use in dirty conditions.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, i do smell a little gas after a bunch of pulls. i just got in from cuttin the grass and it took 63 pulls to get it started. i mean crap. thats a little ridiculous!!!!!!!
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Post this in repair section.........may be a problem with the valves not seating and they need to be cleaned and regaped...