Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

probably a stupid question???

I have seen on here several comments about mail out post cards for your business. I have done searches for my answers and always get about 100 hits but none of them I have read answered my questions? I hope someone can give me some help on the subject. Here are my questions and thank you for dealing with my ignorance.

Where do you get these cards?

How much do these cards cost (if possible, cost per card)?

How do you get the addresses for the houses?

Do you send them out yourself or is there a company that handles it?

This year I drew up professional looking flyers, folded neatly with a business card on the outside then inserted them into a little bag. We punched a hole in the top corner and tied a rubber band off on each one of them for door hangers. In my personal opinion they looked very good. The problem was we have invested hours and hours in putting them together and all kinds of money printing the stuff out. I make my own business cards and they are color. Then on top of that the time my daughter and I spent passing them out. Our return was about 1 customer for every 300 that we hung on doors. We did not hit the lawns that were set back from the road and did not go to the big lawns that are not in subdivisions.

I am a new guy but picked up 33 weekly customers and several bi-weeklies and some mow on calls. Most were picked up thru this method, some thru a newspaper add, and some thru referrals.

Honest opinion, should I stick with what I am doing or do post cards work much better?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again
Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the time spent doing flyers and door hangers is a waste ...atleast it was for me. I bought several yellow page ads and my return was about $30 for every dollar spent on the ad.

The mailer ads your talking about have a OK return but I dont do them anymore. You can print them out yourself and take them to the post office. They will charge you like 11 cents per card. Need to check on the guidelines for the dimensions. You tell them the zip code you want to target but the only thing is the P. Office will not let you select which neighborhoods you want to target. They will put them out in the first neighborhood they come to until they run out.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerLawn View Post
I have seen on here several comments about mail out post cards for your business. I have done searches for my answers and always get about 100 hits but none of them I have read answered my questions? I hope someone can give me some help on the subject. Here are my questions and thank you for dealing with my ignorance.

Where do you get these cards?

How much do these cards cost (if possible, cost per card)?

How do you get the addresses for the houses?

Do you send them out yourself or is there a company that handles it?

This year I drew up professional looking flyers, folded neatly with a business card on the outside then inserted them into a little bag. We punched a hole in the top corner and tied a rubber band off on each one of them for door hangers. In my personal opinion they looked very good. The problem was we have invested hours and hours in putting them together and all kinds of money printing the stuff out. I make my own business cards and they are color. Then on top of that the time my daughter and I spent passing them out. Our return was about 1 customer for every 300 that we hung on doors. We did not hit the lawns that were set back from the road and did not go to the big lawns that are not in subdivisions.

I am a new guy but picked up 33 weekly customers and several bi-weeklies and some mow on calls. Most were picked up thru this method, some thru a newspaper add, and some thru referrals.

Honest opinion, should I stick with what I am doing or do post cards work much better?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again

we have used www.quantummail.com they got jumbo cards 8.5"x5.5" printed and mailed for $.46 per card they also got smaller cards for around $.34 mailed out.
how it works You design the card anyway you want they got templates and all kind of stuff ,depends on the zip code, you type on the street you targeting and show you all address on that street you uncheck or check all then pay, i think you can search addresses by subdivisions name depending on zip and show all addresses on that sub.
Now we spent about $80 for $150 cards last time,but have nothing to do with lawn, was a realtor thing,
now im a newbie too, even worst not even a newbie my rig with all my comm equip coming this friday and I will do this direct mail thing if it works I stick with it.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help! I am not sure how I want to continue advertising. I at least now have one more way to consider. Thanks again!!!

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell113 View Post
I think the time spent doing flyers and door hangers is a waste ...atleast it was for me. I bought several yellow page ads and my return was about $30 for every dollar spent on the ad.

The mailer ads your talking about have a OK return but I dont do them anymore. You can print them out yourself and take them to the post office. They will charge you like 11 cents per card. Need to check on the guidelines for the dimensions. You tell them the zip code you want to target but the only thing is the P. Office will not let you select which neighborhoods you want to target. They will put them out in the first neighborhood they come to until they run out.
So, is it really worth spending quite a bit of money on a yellow page add. I've been contemplating this for a while. What is an example for costs of adds?
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265