Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowing rates in Michigan

I currently do only installations with no lawn mowing services. I have had a quite a few requests for lawn mowing this year and there are few contractors in my area, so I am thinking about getting into it. The area that I live in has larger yards say min 1/2 acre up to 2 acres. I'm thinking of a 60" ZTR which I can do my 2 acres with as well. But wonder if it will be overkill on some of the 1/2 acre lots? I know a 36" walk-behind would be nice, but need to keep the equipment costs down. What size do you guys recommend? Also, what is the going rate? The sales rep from JD store told me about $50 an hour. How much can I expect to mow in an hr? What do you charge for trimming? I'm sure this pricing question has been asked numerous time. And I'm sure prices vary from town to town as well. Just looking for an average. I do not want to be a "low-baller". That does us all no good. Also one last question...don't laugh...but when you are doing the trimming work, is there a trick to staying clean?? Whenever I get the trimmer out, I have grass all over me..lol! Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlandscaping781 View Post
I currently do only installations with no lawn mowing services. I have had a quite a few requests for lawn mowing this year and there are few contractors in my area, so I am thinking about getting into it. The area that I live in has larger yards say min 1/2 acre up to 2 acres. I'm thinking of a 60" ZTR which I can do my 2 acres with as well. But wonder if it will be overkill on some of the 1/2 acre lots? I know a 36" walk-behind would be nice, but need to keep the equipment costs down. What size do you guys recommend? Also, what is the going rate? The sales rep from JD store told me about $50 an hour. How much can I expect to mow in an hr? What do you charge for trimming? I'm sure this pricing question has been asked numerous time. And I'm sure prices vary from town to town as well. Just looking for an average. I do not want to be a "low-baller". That does us all no good. Also one last question...don't laugh...but when you are doing the trimming work, is there a trick to staying clean?? Whenever I get the trimmer out, I have grass all over me..lol! Thanks for your help!
If you get into the mowing let me know. I have a good connection at the MSP Scales in grass lake for mowing. Its to far for me but I can tell you how to get in on the bids and a ballpark on what will get you the contract. Anyone else in that area can get this info as well. Just PM me. The contract is up at end of this year. Must be fully legal for a state contract. Woud hate for you to pull into the DOT scales and not be!!!!!

The key to staying clean during trimming is to have someone else do it!

Official DOT Truck Consulting
Are you DOT ready?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

on the low side 50hr thats mow trim blow, if the whole job takes one hour 50 bucks on the high side,what i price all mine at is 75hr. i would like to get more but my area has so many low ballers thats hard to do so im happy with 75hr
Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

D&R lawncare,

Are all of the MSP Scales in the state contracted out for mowing? I'm just curious, I always figured they would be done by the county or government crews
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going from doing installs to mowing, you're moving backwards. I would focus more energy on marketing more installs, or look into irrigation or something. There is absolutely no operation in the whole entire green industry that is less lucrative than mowing. It is for the bottom feeders. The only thing mowing should be used for is a foot in the door for upsales.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 09-07-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 09-08-2007, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If you're going from doing installs to mowing, you're moving backwards. I would focus more energy on marketing more installs, or look into irrigation or something. There is absolutely no operation in the whole entire green industry that is less lucrative than mowing. It is for the bottom feeders. The only thing mowing should be used for is a foot in the door for upsales.
Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. "STAY AWAY from mowing unless you really love mowing because if you don't love it, you surely won't be doing it to make real money!!!!

It's a foot in the door, no more.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraCutter View Post
Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. "STAY AWAY from mowing unless you really love mowing because if you don't love it, you surely won't be doing it to make real money!!!!

It's a foot in the door, no more.

I make pretty good money off of mowing, but the extra jobs do pay better. But the thing about mowing is that there will always be some grass to cut. Just find customers that don't care if you come when it's dry, or a few times a week if it's been raining a lot.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265