Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capelawncare.com View Post
I built my site, Added the meta tags and after a few months was able to get ranked by all the major search engines. I get anywhere from 5-15 leads per week.

It is the ONLY advertising I do. Even If I were to have paid thousands of dollars for a site, and the rankings, it would have been well worth the money.
That's pretty good. I should try that. How many of those leads turn into jobs? And what kind of jobs?
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnut101 View Post
That's pretty good. I should try that. How many of those leads turn into jobs? And what kind of jobs?
I would say 25% turn into yearly full service contracts. I pass on probably 40 % of the others. They either want 1 time cuts, or bi weekly cuts, or some other form of cheapness.

The balance of calls "go away" when I tell them what I charge. Which is OK by me. We have a lot, I mean a whole lot of Lowballers and trunk slammers, in our area. I dont mind being their competition. But I never want them to become my competition.

I could easily turn a 60-65% closing ratio on the prospects from my website, but its just not the business I am looking for these days.

Good Luck
Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.man View Post
thanks for the replies , first year in business and lovin every minute of it.
Yeah you gotta excuse my first reply, I was in a mood.

It's actually kinda neat, for a small business once it's online, an economical way to keep your name out there. Look, one thing that's very important is plastering your name and number in as many places as you can, more is better, but economically and legally.

Unfortunately advertising is so much trial and error, I find the quality and type of ad makes a difference, which is to say it affects the quality of the customer. I find classified ads to be the worst, roadside signs are a pita but they do work, door hangers / flyers are good but a newspaper box ad is even better, the web site is actually up there some kind of way, haven't figured out exactly where it hangs but bad it isn't by any stretch.

The thing about a web site is once it is online the cost is minimal, maybe 20-30 a month max, you can get hosting for 10-15 then you need some listings for your link (and the good ones aren't free, a place in the Y! directory runs $300 a year) and this and that and the other, 3-4 maybe 600 a year and you're done... In this way a web site is one of the most cost-effective ways of having your name and number plastered some place 24-7, no pesky competitors, neighbors or HOA's to take it down because it annoys them either

I recommend DIY, the learning curve is a bit long and a few parts are right treacherous, but in the end I think this is the most rewarding way, either way it doesn't matter but so much if you just want a basic thing you can do it either way.