Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your opinion please

About 3 months ago one of my customers husbandstarted getting sick. They diagnosed it as cancer. They had to go north with family to take care of him, however they retained me to keep the lawn while they were away. I found out that the medical bills were starting to add up fast. So a donated one service to help her out. As her bills continued I reduced her rate and spread out the mowings ( not a bad thing as the heat and lack of rain it wasn't growing much anyway. Her bill continue and another of my customers began to pay the first ones bill for her. ( Co-workers) Her husband died about 3 weeks ago and she will be returning soon. In the mean time her company is holding a benifit ( food, fun, gospel and country singing and an auction to raise money to help her. Well I decided to raffel pff 1 full service, (mow, blow, edge and weed eat) to help. This lady was my first customer and responsible for 3 contracted referrels.
Theres no question, just looking for opinions. Business speaking was this wise. I did it from the heart and didn't loose ny $$ because of it so far. I don't want a pat on the back, just want to see if others might have done the same or simular in such a case.
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't say I would do the same until it happens to me. I hope I would act the same way you are.
Nice to see people still care.

2000 CHEVY 2500
Country Clipper Boss 52
CUB CADET TANK 60
CUB CADET 33
GRAVELY SW21
Sthil trimmer's
Sthil edger
Sthil hedge trimmer
Sthil tiller
Echo blower's
Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have donated my services twice. both were local Police Officers injured in the line of duty. Total free mows = 8 but the accounts I have landed from this more than paid for the free service. The newspaper mentioned my company name and even listed my phone number/ email addy as being one of the businesses helping out free of charge. The county "business association" contracted me for 3 commercial accounts (my bid was high) and several business owners hired me for their home service as well.

Last edited by DiGGz; 09-09-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I help one of my neighbors like that. Her and her daughter live in a house together and the grand daughter has some sever physical illness. Was not supposed to live past 3 but is now six. Her brain works but her body doesn't and she has to be hooked up to machines all the time and has a nurse at the house all the time. They don't have insurance and they have to pay out the nose for all the medical supplies and such and literally have to be at her side 24/7 with a nurse. they have no money left over so i cut their house for basically free, i said i would do it for free (only takes like 15 min and is right next door) but she insists on giving me something. Very nice family
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to even reply like this to this thread, because I do not want it to seem as if i am boasting...because I am certainly not (there are certain things that go better off unsaid). But I have donated to silent auction on a handful of occasions - never having the opportunity of doing it directly for someone I know, though, I would donate $100 worth of services, as I felt that was an adequate amount to sell well.
As far as your idea of doing this, I think it is a great idea, and very considerate of you to do so. I am quite sure that this will be greatly appreciated by all of the family. I wish you the best of luck with it, and wish them well also.
I just had to edit this to add that I think what the others that have posted have done (and are doing) is awesome. Keep it up, guys.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is nice to be associated in like business with folks like ya'll. Thanks for the input. It is good to hear that there really are people with a heart out there. God bless you all
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TATER
I think you did good son. The old saying "DO ON TO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE TO YOU"
Old 09-09-2007, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have done it the rest of the season for free (If it didnt hurt my wallet to much). If it did, I would do as much as possible to help.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes in this world we get so caught up in trying to make a living, and taking care of yourself, and family and your business that we sometimes forget to just slow down and remember that we our all on this earth for a very short time. i had a client that i have had for 4 years that passed on in the middle of the season last year, and i finished up the rest of the season for no charge to her family. it made me feel good to know that i was able to help her kids through a tough time.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sweet tater you are a good guy