Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH601V

Hello all, I have a John Deere with a relatively newly installed (100 hours) Kawasaki FH601V engine. Recently the engine has been bogging down when I put a load on it, i.e. engaging the 48" deck. I can get the motor to work perfectly fine but I would need to shut it off and restart it. Sometimes I have to restart it about 20 times before it runs correctly and sometimes it will only be a few times. It seems to be getting worse. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter to no avail. Is there anything that I can do to correct this myself or do you think I should take it to the shop?

Thanks and any info would be much appreciated.

Tom
Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds more like an electrical connection to me. Maybe a bad/flaky key switch, or an electrical connector/safety switch that isn't making good contact.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes when the Engine is running fine for a while, it will all of a sudden start to bog down almost to the point of stalling. I will then need to shut down the tractor and restart it until it the engine will run without the bogging. Could this be an electrical problem?

Tom
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tom,

Do you think you might be dropping one of the cylinders? Have you checked plugs, plug wires? You might want to pull the plugs and see if one looks darker then the other.

Eric D
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

HAVE THE VALVES ADJUSTED!!! i didn't know this and ran my mower till last week and well, i lost the motor i was told that every 100 hrs. or so you need to have them adjusted and especially at the very beginning. I just don't want you to end up with the same fate i did!!! let us know how it turns out!

-mike-

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwlandscaping View Post
HAVE THE VALVES ADJUSTED!!! i didn't know this and ran my mower till last week and well, i lost the motor i was told that every 100 hrs. or so you need to have them adjusted and especially at the very beginning. I just don't want you to end up with the same fate i did!!! let us know how it turns out!

-mike-
Mike,

What exactly did they contribute the failure too? At worst, by not adjusting the valves you might end up with a burn valve and or seat. In any case this would be no more then replacing a head assembly.

If I remember correctly I think the manual states to check and adjust valve clearance every 300 hours.

Regards,

Eric D
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
Mike,

What exactly did they contribute the failure too? At worst, by not adjusting the valves you might end up with a burn valve and or seat. In any case this would be no more then replacing a head assembly.

If I remember correctly I think the manual states to check and adjust valve clearance every 300 hours.

Regards,

Eric D
They attributed the original problem to be the valves, but, then as the hours cont. to go up and they were out of adj, that messed up the cyl. heads, which screwed up quite a bit of other stuff inside the motor i think you are right about the 300 hrs. though. But, that's exactly how my motor problems started out and they went away, but when they returned, that was the end of the motor!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

similair situation here...valve adj seemed to help alot!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I would imagine you've found your answer by now, but I had a similar problem with my kaw. It sometimes would run really well and sometimes not. Turns out that a mouse had been eating the spark plug wire under the engine shroud just to the point where it would make contact sometimes if it would "jiggle around" a little bit. I replaced the magneto and it ran great.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RielTime View Post
Hello all, I have a John Deere with a relatively newly installed (100 hours) Kawasaki FH601V engine. Recently the engine has been bogging down when I put a load on it, i.e. engaging the 48" deck. I can get the motor to work perfectly fine but I would need to shut it off and restart it. Sometimes I have to restart it about 20 times before it runs correctly and sometimes it will only be a few times. It seems to be getting worse. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter to no avail. Is there anything that I can do to correct this myself or do you think I should take it to the shop?

Thanks and any info would be much appreciated.

Tom
you should prob take it to the shop as I do not have enough information to even make an educated guess as to what is wrong here. You have to many things it could be, and the guessing game could take weeks to get threw.