Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats Easier, One Man Or Two

Had A Quick Question,
Is It Easier To Start A New Lawn Care Business With Just Yourself Or Trying To Make It A Two Man Show? I Have Been In Lawn Care But Im Just Getting Into Commercial Accounts. Thought About Adding A Person. Any Input Would Be Great!

Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried doing lawncare with a friend once and it worked out terribly. He didn't have the same drive and work ethic as me so he didn't work as hard or efficient. We broke up and I don't think I'll ever partner again.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not partner...but you could have an employee, but for a start up company an employee comes with headaches and extra costs, taxes, W/C, withholding, payroll, ect. On option to deal with this is to find a good employee and have him hire on with a temp service and then you pay the temp service as you need to use the employee....this way you are at least legit...
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

What Would Be Better

Thanks For The Info. I Thought The Same But I Wanted To Get Someone Elses Input Before I Decided. Thanks Again For The Info, This Site Is So Helpful For The Novice And Pro.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G & L lAWN CARE View Post
Had A Quick Question,
Is It Easier To Start A New Lawn Care Business With Just Yourself Or Trying To Make It A Two Man Show? I Have Been In Lawn Care But Im Just Getting Into Commercial Accounts. Thought About Adding A Person. Any Input Would Be Great!

Thanks
i started out solo and then went with an employee part-time in the first season. the second season i went with two part-timers then i went to a partener and two full time guys by the third year. depends on what you want to do. i also work full time at night . so go figure
Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is easier with 2 people (one employee). I think 3 people has to be the most profitable though.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's yin and yang...

Technically speaking, two people should be able to finish one job in less than half the time than a solo Lco... Not only is there less switching of equipment at the truck, but with the right helper I find it's a mutual motivater to getting more done. Me and some guys sat down and figured it out back when and I think we came up with an overall 20% efficiency increase, that's taking into account that it's 2x everything if that makes any sense, 20% on top of that, maybe more.

Something about if it takes me solo 1 hour then it should take me and a helper right at 20 minutes, technically speaking I should come out way ahead, windshield time and all is figured into that earlier 20% thou. Once you get into 3 people it evens back out unless you have a lot of work all in one place... The thing is windshield time is a killer, you spend 15 minutes going to-from and there's 45 minutes wasted labor, these guys all want to get paid the entire time... One helper is half the labor wasted in the truck vs. 2, that is, as far as payola above and beyond your own, three people is twice the outgoing labor vs. two, once again it's some funny math but you really have to step back and look at the whole picture to see it.

But it all depends who you have, and what they're like.
I found helpers are either not as experienced / motivated as I am, and so it results in a loss... OR they are at least as good as I am (or better) and then every time I turn around they're trying to get one over on me, that was my experience.

So I think it boils down to what you want, some guys can tolerate helpers better than I, some Lco's would never go without, me I like being by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopkeeper View Post
I tried doing lawncare with a friend once and it worked out terribly. He didn't have the same drive and work ethic as me so he didn't work as hard or efficient. We broke up and I don't think I'll ever partner again.
yup yup.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm mostly solo with about 10-15 accounts a week. Sometimes I hire a worker, if I have too much work to do by myself, because I'm still in highschool. Next year I will be expanding, and I'm hoping to hire a worker full time, that is if I can double to triple my work load, or just pick up some more landscaping jobs. It is nice to have a helper, you get a whole ton less worn out, and you can get more jobs done in a shorter time period. Good luck
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess it really depends on where you want your business to go. I have 2 full time employees, one who does mainly mowing and some landscaping on bigger jobs and a full time landscaper. Two on a mowing crew will get alot more done than a 1 man mow and go. It really depends on how many accounts you have and whether or not you need another person. I would stay away from friends and hire someone who has worked in the business for awhile you will be happier.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Easier to start without the problems normally associated with workers.....do you have any idea how hard it is to get workers?