Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Striping Kit vs. Homemade?

Okay so striping.... I really like the look but don't have the ztr to do it. For my Scag 36'' wb I want to get something....

I quoted one online, over $200. Seems expensive.... (bigleaguelawns.com)

Maybe make on myself? How would I and for how much? Have you tried it?

Thanks, any help would be great.!

(p.s.. scag doesn't make a kit for this model... theres no other brand that would make one thats interchangeable is there?)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36”scag walk behind. There is no reason for a striping kit for this mower. If you are not getting stripes then I would say it is something you arer not doing instead of the mower.

Do not use the front wheels to mark your mowing path. If you do you will not stripe. The blades go all the way past the back wheels on the side of you mower. The only way you can stripe is if you use all of the mowing area other wise the stripes will bleed together and you will not see them. make sure you mowing path is at least 35 inches. If you mow in one direction it cuts 36 inches wide. When you turn around and come back DO NOT OVERLAP!!!!

After mowing one strip in one direction and another coming back you should have cut at least a 70 inches across, 35 inches in both direction. You need to try and get a full 36 inches in both direction. Two passes would then be 72 inches.

Once you figure out how to use your mowing deck for its full width you will have great stripes!!!! Remember always mow on the light colored stripes to continue the striping from week to week.

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For future reference you can make a striping kit by hanging heavy rubber mud flaps off the back of you mower $30.00 or thick chains $90.00 (thick so they dont get stuck in the gate of your trailor). just make sure you have enough clerance when backing so they dont go under your tire! No matter if you buy a striping kit or make it, the stripes will not show until you mow WIDE paths

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmowing View Post
Okay so striping.... I really like the look but don't have the ztr to do it. For my Scag 36'' wb I want to get something....

I quoted one online, over $200. Seems expensive.... (bigleaguelawns.com)

Maybe make on myself? How would I and for how much? Have you tried it?

Thanks, any help would be great.!

(p.s.. scag doesn't make a kit for this model... theres no other brand that would make one thats interchangeable is there?)
Unless you're stiping strictly for your own pleasure, I believe this subject has come up in the past and striping seems to be something most customers don't even notice. Some do, but the numbers are so small you are pissing away your time and money.

my 2 cents

Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

hey thanks...

I am fairly new to this so I always put the front castor wheel right on the line I just made. I understand what you are saying and thanks for the advice!

What do you mean by the belts? More specifically where can you buy them and what are they called in-store?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

duracutter-

I have never been asked to stripe, but I like it. I feel like I can charge more for an impressive looking lawn than one that just looks the same all the time!

thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
duracutter-

I have never been asked to stripe, but I like it. I feel like I can charge more for an impressive looking lawn than one that just looks the same all the time!

thanks
you lost me on the belts??? couldnt find where i wrote that???

It is what it is......

Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

ah the mud flaps my bad...
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It takes practice first, it all has to do with sunlight and they have to be highly defined, it usually takes me 3-4 and sometimes 5-6 double cuts in a row before they finally turn out for that ONE time show off lol. I usually get one real nice definition towards late spring and then again in fall, that's it, about twice a year it's like whoa, you can't do it once the heat gets going or you'll fry the lawn...
A lot of times I cut it the same pattern 2-3 or 4 visits then I hit it one time the alternate way and it turns out like this below, which neither customers nor passers by ever miss noticing:

This one's dual-mower (48" wb diagonally, Ztr horizontals)

These are both wb only

You just can't NOT see it lol

Oh yeh, homemade, chains.

Last edited by topsites; 09-15-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
duracutter-

thanks
First off, know that I'm with you...not against you!\

Second, the fact you've never been asked means something.

Thirdly, are you in fact CHARGING more and getting it. Can you verify that with actual numbers..

If it makes you feel good, that's great, but if you want to make more $$, it's wasting valuable time if you're not being rewarde financially.