Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Who gives workers benifits?

I was wondering if any of you gave yours workers health insurance, 401ks, or any other type of benfits. For the work i do, i need the top guys other there. I think offering benifits is what it takes to reel the tops guys in.

What do you guys think?

Please do not move this to the business section. I only want to hear what other hardscapers do.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bobcatservice

I have 1 main full time employ who has been with me 6 years. I pay him a top wage for our area. I have been kicking ins. to make sure he dont leave since he was off several days this summer from an old injury recquiring med. attention. I am very good to him by paying around 4-5 personel days and providing transportation to work every day. Xmas time nice gift, etc. But he is now at the age where ins. could come in handy. Im serious checking it out. My other 2 i could care less if they moved on.
mike
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Benefits are a MUST for the best employees!! There was a study that showed that out of a group of 2000 Canadians, 68% would rather a full benefits package instead of a $20k raise, 37% would rather benefits over $25k raise. They were told in advance that the actual cost of the medical/dental expenses are typically $2700/year but they insisted they wanted the insurance in case something "big" happened.

Health care is so much different up here (my uncle's friend got $180k of cancer treatments paid by public health care), so I think the lack of public health care enforces my point even more.

Look hard at the prices, it might be worth it for you. Good luck either way.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

studies also show that 100% of Canadiens are idiots.

Just kidding I couldn't resist.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL> Mike I hope they don't read this board.

Creative Hardscapes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't health insurance free for Canadians???

Chris
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I also have one 'main' guy and the others as I need. I pay him a good wage for what he does.

-Salary employee
-Christmas to New Years paid week off
-Still pay him full day when he needs to take a 1/2 day or a day......they are few and far between so no problem
-4.5% raise........average is 3%
-Bonus on some jobs
-Taken company truck home a few times when car was in the shop having work done

Odds and ins that add up. I do not provide health insurance and do not believe it is something I should provide. I don't pay his car insurance, house insurance or other bills.........well health insurance is a bill and coverage is not expensive. If you want coverage with the bells and whistles it gets expensive but a safety net is not.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
I also have one 'main' guy and the others as I need. I pay him a good wage for what he does.
Odds and ins that add up. I do not provide health insurance and do not believe it is something I should provide. I don't pay his car insurance, house insurance or other bills.........well health insurance is a bill and coverage is not expensive. If you want coverage with the bells and whistles it gets expensive but a safety net is not.

And the industry wonders why we have problems finding quality employees. It is from statements and mind sets such as this that is keeping our industry from being perceived as a professional trade.

Of course I pay health insurance, the best I can afford. I also pay for training, up to 4 weeks of vacation, IRA, personal/sick days, bereavement pay, incentives, as well as bonuses. I feel I can't do enough for my guys and for that they are very loyal. I do not know of too many successful companies that do not offer some type of health insurance.

I am not saying the above comment is wrong for his personal situation, and do not want to say if you don't offer benis you are a bad employer. I just do not have any sympathy for companies that complain about employee retention and quality employee interest and do not offer even health insurance. At the very least, pay a percentage of the cost, even if it is 20-40%. JMO
Old 09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotLandscape View Post
studies also show that 100% of Canadiens are idiots.

Just kidding I couldn't resist.
SHUT UP!! lol

I thought that was crazy that people would not take the raise...... but thats just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgland View Post
Isn't health insurance free for Canadians???

Chris
SOME health care is free. There's still little things that aren't free like some medication, splints/casts, physiotherapy/rehab, etc..

One thing my mom is looking for is dental (7 people in my family, dad owns his own business). She's trying to get into the public school board to get a great benefits package.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My company is not presently in the position to offer such benefits. Come this time next year, it should not be a problem. I am budgeting NOW in order to provide LATER.

No body expects full health coverage but a percentage I would not be against when it is the right time to explore those options.

I must first have the ability to attract the higher end employees I seek.

I am looking to pay out for a good foreman this spring and in order to get such a person there will be the need of incentives and or benefits.

I remember being a foreman, I remember the treatment I look for and I will deliver on that to my fullest when the time is right.

My current 'main guy' is very happy with his situation. Honestly, he needs $ (bonus that I pay out) over benefits or paid time off so its a win win for both of us at this time.