Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paver Saw???

Hey guys. I am looking to purchase a new paver saw and wanted to see if you guys had any good reviews or experiences with different ones. I am looking for a good plung/table version and not a handheld cutoff saw. It will need to cut pavers as well as wall block. I also prefer a wet kit with it. Who has the right answer for me??? I have seen anything from the $600 ones on ebay to the $2k ones from imer and other brands. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I have learned the hard way on this. A table saw is no way as versatile as a hand held saw. I spent 2100.00 on mine and it sits not being used. I would have been better off buying (3) 12 inch chop saws for the money. It is awkward,heavy,hard to manuever on new sites (rough graded) and is a pain in the ass to find a place to clean it in a homeowners backyard. Besideds imagine 3 chop saws to 1 table saw. If you find a good bargain by all means buy it (mine has come in handy) maybe 3 times in 3 years but I wouldnt suggest anyone buy one for everyday use.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use our table saw on every project. The chop saws definately have a place like cutting wall block, cutting in place, etc., but for cutting border pavers or cap work I wouldn't do it on a chop saw. Much better cut w/ a table saw.

Chris
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We use only a table saw.

And the ONLY brand to buy is: EDCO

They are constantly doing R&D with their products. Small company - GREAT Saws.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgland View Post
We use our table saw on every project. The chop saws definately have a place like cutting wall block, cutting in place, etc., but for cutting border pavers or cap work I wouldn't do it on a chop saw. Much better cut w/ a table saw.

Chris
the same goes for us. i applaud the guys who can get by with just a table saw, but it just doesn't work for us.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use both table and chop also. I agree that you can cut with more precisionwith a table, but also would not be without a chop. We have target tables and shindaiwa/stihl chops. Any good table saw your gonna spend at least in the teens.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the question was what kind of table saw do you prefer not whats better table or handheld?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks McKeeLand. you are correct. I am looking for owners of table style saws and their feedback. I understand the pros and cons to the chop saw vs. table saw war. Personally, you could argue a few fine points on both units, but if you had to have just one saw to do everything, you could not get by with just a chop saw and make a lot of the fine cuts that you can with a table. Not to mention the safety factor of the table vs. the chop. you take a lesser exp. guy and put him on a chop saw and if he doesn't loose a limb, he will have at least ruined a patio border. if anyone has any reviews of tables, please let me know. I did call the EDCO rep in my area today. Needless to say, he has a great unit and sold me on the quality of his unit, but i could not see putting $2,500 in a table saw and stand right now.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run 3 stihl ts400s and 1 taget 14 inch 5.5hp honda table saw. I plan to add a 20 inch table saw in the next couple months.

Honestly, i almost think a table saw is a table saw. Just make sure you get a honda motor.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

couple years ago i bought a mk1080 used for $500. at the time i wasn't sure what i wanted but knew i needed something. the tables are heavy but this spring i put wheels on mine and it made a big difference.

the problems i have with mine is that it won't cut 4" caps or large square pavers corner to corner. i'll keep this one for those cut intensive jobs but currently i also have started to look at a bigger machine.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com