Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-18-2001, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

New F-250

I'm Buying A new f-250 crew 4x4 And I was wondering should I Get the v-10 or will the v-8 be big enough? I'm conserned about gas milage And the power of the v-8. Thanks in Advance for the responses
Old 09-18-2001, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same truck except it is the diesel. The V-10 supposedly gets 10 mpg at best, and I believe it. I know this saying gets said a million times, but think about opting for the diesel if you plan on pulling a good size trailer or whatever. This was my first diesel and I was floored at the torque these things have. I have a 20 foot enclosed loaded to the gills and it really pulls it awesome. It can pick up speed going up some pretty big hills. I had gas motors and smaller trailers before and they could not tow half as good.
You have to let us know what you will be using it for to give advice on what motor you should get. You will get some good insight once people start responding. There is no easy solution here without spending money, either you pay for the expensive diesel up front and get good power, or you pay down the road with overworking the small gas motor and extra spent fuel because of it. I think the V-10 falls somewhere in between. Not as expensive as the diesel but poor mileage yet good power. Confused yet? I think I am. All I know is I'll never buy a gas motor truck again. I love my diesel!
Old 09-18-2001, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Randy, I realley Wanted the Diesel. But I've Got a couple of kids so I have to get the crew cab,and with the diesel you cant hang a plow on the front (to Heavy). So I have to decide V-8 or V-10.Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-18-2001, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not get the F350 Diesel and the plow? Not much more expensive and it's always good to have the extra capacity.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can put a 8' plow on that truck with a diesel and NOT-NOT void the warranty! Shop around at other Ford dealers to find one that isnt feeding you bull shi%. My best friend has been sales manager of Ford heavy duty trucks for 8years and its coming from him. Worst case you will have to add a leaf to each front cost around $300
Old 09-20-2001, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you buy a V8,i think you will be dissapointed with the power,a V10 has power,but its thirsty.If i were you,I get the diesel.If you want a plow,Id get a sno-way,since they are the lightest,but make no mistake,the truck will be overloaded,id put 500-800 lbs of ballast in the back og the bed.This will help a lot.Warranty's will be at the discretion of your selling dealer,Id ask about the warranty issues before you buy,so you know if you will or will not be covered.For the price difference,Id go with the F350,only because the curb weigh is about 7000 lbs,leaving only 1800 lbs payload,the 350 has 1100 more lbs of payload.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a f-250 super-duty with the v-10 in it and it is everything a truck should be. I pull my trailer with two scag 61 inch turf tigers on it with no problem at all. I get 8.5 miles to the gallon with the trailer attached and just over 10 miles to the gallon without it but the v-8 isn't much better so for the extra horse power I would definately recommend the v-10. I also have a fisher v-plow for plowing and it pushes that plow easily, as for what truck can take what plow the guys from fisher told me that the f-250 and f-350 are the same for plow ratings. They both rate the same no matter what motor is in them. The v-8 is a good motor but if you plan on working the truck then the v-10 is the motor you want. I got two kids myself and the super cab works well for us.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a f-250 with a 5.4 v-8 and am happy with it.

I pull a 16' trailer with 4'sides, a 60" lazer, and a 52" Metro. has no problem getting up to speed.
Old 09-22-2001, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to 01 f-350 with the powerstroke in it...love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. I do not see the extra TQ. though..I had a F-150 with the 4.2 ltr. v-6 (the smallest F-150 motor) and it could get up to speed quicker with my 7X16 trailer than this diesel.. my new diesel seems really sluggish off the line with or without the trailer. You defenetly not going to feel like your in a ferrari.
Old 09-22-2001, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have got to get the turbo going because it runs off of the exaust, so it take awhile to pick up speed.