Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
Price is steep for mowing, triming & edging.
1000 sq ft is approx an area 32 ft wide by 32 ft long.
Most people probably aren't going to pay someone $30 to maintain something that small.
just out of curiosity, how much would you spend to for someone to maintain your 1k sqft lot?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells7 View Post
sorry for the confusing i didnt mean $30 per 1k sq ft. i just wanted to create a bottom line for myself so i can profit eventually. i just don't think its worth pulling equipment off of my truck for anything less than a 1000 sqft lot or anything priced less than $30 bucks. does that seem reasonable????
$30 is a fair minimum price, but depends on what your goals are, for a development with super small lots, you can make a ton of money by lining up a bunch of customers. In that situation you might want to consider going a bit lower and doing some advertising in that development. For example, you can make a killing mowing townhouses, even at $20 a pop, provided you have several at each stop. But to just go in and mow one townhouse, you still have the drive time, the unloading time. $20 to go in and out in that situation is a bit low. But if that's your target development then maybe go lower and work on getting more customers in there.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

new guy i charge by how long it takes me. not by the foot. i charge a flat rate per month- weekly or bi-weekly and a one year contract. all edging trimming and fertilizing is in the price. here in cal. we mow all year long .no snow here or freezing weather. most of my lawns take about 20 min. i charge $60.00-$65.00 per hour .so for a 20 min job i round it up to $25.00 per mow
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
just out of curiosity, how much would you spend to for someone to maintain your 1k sqft lot?
1000 sq ft is about the size of an average 2-car garage, even with a 21" mower something that size could be cut, edged and blown in less then 10 minutes, 15 if your really slow. $20 sounds about right....
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here in jersey...around me at least where the lawns are no bigger than 3000 sq ft. ppl charge mostly $20-25

i charge $20 minimum (lawns under 2000 sqft.) then i go up in increments of about $5 for every 1000sqft. over 2000.

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 09-20-2007, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I charge a mere 4 hours south of you...

Lawn Mowing Services:
1 acre = 43,560 sq.ft.

- 1/4 acre lot: Min. $30.00
- 3/8 acre lot: Min. $35.00
- 1/2 acre lot: Min. $40.00
- 5/8 acre lot: Min. $45.00
- 3/4 acre lot: Min. $50.00
- 7/8 acre lot: Min. $55.00
- Full acre: 60

Minimum charge: $30

I'd recommend sticking with those minimums if you need customers, adjust slightly for tough yards thou.
It's as competitive as it gets, I doubt you'd want to do it for less with price of fuel, and it gets the jobs.
It's not lowballing, you'll still get your share of haggling but I recommend stick to your guns.
Seems it doesn't work out per kilosquare, there's just no doing, it keeps getting cheaper per sq.ft. with size...
There might be a formula out there that adjusts for it, but the above is relatively easy to remember.

btw that quote of mine cracks me up pretty good too, thou at the time I wasn't in a great mood and it didn't.

Last edited by topsites; 09-20-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I do a few Duplexes that are that size and only charge $20, but am able to do that because the 6 duplexes are all in a row. I donít think I would stop my truck and unload for just one property that size. But hey if they let you charge $30 all the power to ya.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a minimum 30$ fee and i cut 2 properties under 1000sq.ft. at that price. The bulk of my service area though is in the 1/8 to 1/4 acre yard size. If a majority of your potentual customers live on yards that small i'ld probably go with a 20-25$ minimum fee.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

$20 to $25 sounds good> thanks for the help guys
Old 09-20-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
like i said im new to this lawn care thing and im having a hard time finding a way to approach pricing lawns without being too expensive. thanks for the reply> what stratagies do u use if you do not mind sharing?
My "method" if it can even be called that is really simple and probably will draw some criticism. But I feel I need to be earning around $60 per hour.
If I see a lawn similar to the majority of my other lawns (5 to 8k sq feet...able to use my 48" stander, not too much trimming) then I would price it at $30. I can knock out 2 of those an hour with drive time on average.
If I see a lawn that has alot of 21" mowing, hills, lotsa trimming....then I will estimate how long itll take me. If I think itll take an hour...then I'll bid $60. If I guess 45 minutes...then I'll bid $45.
Im sure there are much better ways to bid...but this seems to work for me..