Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Help w/ EP Henry Coventry Curbstone

I need to install curbstone around a driveway and the very picky customer (my father) wants the stone laid at a 45º angle so he can still drive into the lawn without a problem. Whats the best way to get the curbstone straight and at a 45º angle?
99 Jeep Wrangler 6.5' Meyers
97 Ford SD Stake 8' Diamond, Henderson Salter
95 Chevy 1500 7.5' Meyers
93 20' Enclosed Wellscargo
85 Chevy Blazer 7.5' Meyers
Scag 61" TT
Scag 61" Hyd. Walk Behind (For Sale)
Scag 52" Hyd. Walk behind
Redmax EBZ 8000 Back Pack Blowers
Sthil KM 110R
Hedge, Line Trimmer
Lawn Edger
Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You will have to cut the driveway to get a straight line. As far as the 45 degree angle, I would rebar and pour a slump of crete next to the drive and hand set each curbstone. Run a string line or two to check your heights and setbacks. Truthfully, I would set them as recommended and step them down like a curb steps down for a driveway and create an entrance for him to use. The way he wants it won't hold up for long.

chris
Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

It will never work (properly) with an exsisting driveway. At a 45 angle the curbstone would have to be under the driveway if the stone runs a little larger than the others. The stone are never the same heights so your damned if you do or damned if you dont. If you start with a larger curbstone and establish heights the smaller ones will want to float in the air. If you start with smaller ones and establish heights the larger ones will have to be cut when necessary. Will you have this time with concrete curing.

You will have to cut the driveway cause never have I seen an asphalt crew keep a straight line and they seem to 45/flare their sides out. Meaning the bottom of the asphalt is wider then the top.

45 degree curb is tricky perhaps you can set it back a foot from the driveway and put in a border Or once your done with the curb have the asphalt overlayed/topped. I dont particularly like it either but they are alternatives.

I have had curbstone in my yard since they came out and my landscaper drives over them all the time. They remain in good condition. If you expect them to be driven over I would not suggest joints in between them. Reason being they can break and it would be hard to match the cement joint in the case of a repair.