Register free!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

well where the landing is now on that wood deck, it is 3 feet, and then it looks like about a 6 inch step up into the house. So from the ground all the way up to the bottom of the door, it would be approx 3 feet, 6 inches.

And if I can't figure this out then I will have to do something in wood, which I don't really want to do. We have a white PVC fence. I think the stone would look nicer, but wood is always a back up. My backyard is 50 feet wide, and 30 deep. from the bottom of the stairs, its probably about 20-25 feet because at that part the house comes out a bit, plus the width of the stairs take up some more room.

And PicturePerfectPavers, that sounds like a cool idea. ANd it sounds pretty easy too. I am not an expert hardscaper, so the easier the better. Plus I dont have any fancy equipment or anything, so I wish it could be that easy.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

And be sure to put a post here!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do projects like that quite often. Its alot of work and needs to be done by a professional or you will find yourself (or someone else for that matter) rebuilding them in a couple of yrs. Build a wood deck and save yourself the bother. If you want to hire someone I'm in your area and can recommend a good co. to build it for you. If it had to be stone, I would use the celtik block 90mm module from permacon. Its called the step and riser system. It gives you nice 14" treads. Only problem is that 5 steps and a platform will take up lots of room. How much room is there to work, how old is the house. If it is only a year or so, I recommend to wait, likely the settling is not done since most of this area is clay. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO using a concrete wall block for a stoop looks terrible. Price out granite steps and risers, I'm willing to bet its close $ wise to using the pedestal method with block. And you will never need to replace it.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The hardscaping frame company number is (908) 688-0800 ask for Bob Denholtz extension 208.

The stairs can be built to size and specs. My distributor has had people use them with success. I will be trying a set probably in two weeks. They have a growing distributor ship and are a new start up. My distributor will handle the sale if they dont have someone in Canada. He has stock for a six foot slider 5 stairs.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally I like Pisa II by Unilock. IMO a great wall system and you can build steps with any rise you want upto 8.5"

You could build a 3 sided box, using the foundation as the fourth side. Make your landing just below your siding with 1 step built on the landing to get you into the house. The rest of the steps could go along the house with a hand rail attached to the house. You may also want to extend to the edge of the house to the right. To avoid having to use a rail around landing bring up the grade around it some maybe use some boulder, ground cover, plants....
This can also reduce the amount of wall you have to build but will require more back fill, we use 21AA crushed limestone or concrete around here

Good Luck
Bill

52" ExMark Lazer CT
(2) 48" ExMark Metro
RedMax/Stihl Trimmers
RedMax/Echo Blowers
Stihl Edger
Old 09-26-2007, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your advice guys. I really don't know what to do now. In my head it seems do-able, but in the real world I know I'll run into some problems lol... I contacted a rep from Precast Decor, and he said I could use the Olde Manor block

http://www.decorprecast.com/code/Pro...ManorWall.html

to build stairs 3 ft high, as long as I follow the guidelines on their site, and PL everything together. BUt everyone on here seems to think that is a bad idea. Stupid deck...