Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When did you go full time?

How many years did you have in working part time or for somebody else before you took the leap and went full time?

How much money did you have saved up? How much of your equipment was paid for and what kind of equipment did you have when you went full time?

I want to start my own full time business in a few years and am wondering what kind of goal to work for. ie $50k in the bank, 50 customers, or what?

1992 Chevy K2500 - 350ci & 4L80E
12' V-Nose enclosed trailer
52" Scag Hydro WB
36" Quick 36 with Bagger
Stihl Kombi System
Part time LCO.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
How many years did you have in working part time or for somebody else before you took the leap and went full time?

How much money did you have saved up? How much of your equipment was paid for and what kind of equipment did you have when you went full time?

I want to start my own full time business in a few years and am wondering what kind of goal to work for. ie $50k in the bank, 50 customers, or what?
Well I started when I was about 11 or so. My dad drove me around to the different accts and I used the wal-mart equipment to get the jobs done. Did this for a while until he realized I enjoyed it so much. Slowly started getting entry level comm. equip and by about 18 or 19 or so I had all top of the line commercial line equip. Im 27 now and enjoy every day of it. I financed my equip and paid it off in a very short while, so I didn't have to worry about dipping into savings to pay for it. As far as the equip, an extended cab truck, stick edgers, stihl hedger, aerator, spreader, 2 Z's, 2 21" walkbehind, 36" wb with sulky, 3 string trimmers, handheld blower, back blower and various other tools. You may not need to have $50k in the bank to "get started" or 50 customers for that matter. Depends on what you want to focus on, res accts, or comm accts. You can do fewer comm accts or large acre+ properties and still make excellent money. 50 accts is a lot, but it can be manageable for a solo op.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I went full time in 1 week,

YES 1 week. I had about 2 thousand dollars to my name.
I borrowed 7 thousand to get a ZTR,

DONT count money, just forget about the money. it will come.concertrate on customers, making them happy. the money will folow.

Of corse I already had a truck, and a few items that most home owners would have. weedeater blower and such.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was working for another lco for a portion of this year. I saved money and did my stuff anytime I could. I paid cash for all of my equipment, except my truck. But that will be paid of next year. It got to the point where I was working later and later for the other lco, and not enough time for me. Then I said to my wife, my job is getting in the way of my lifetime career. So I quit and ever since then, it was the best thing I ever did. My business has doubled and the calls keep rolling. I wish now that I would have done this earlier in the year. Next year, I am shooting for 40+ accounts and do some landscape contruction and snow plowing. I want to be more of a low volume, high net company, rather than kill myself on a bunch of accounts and really make the same or less money. Basically, go full time when the cards are all stacked in your favor. I have 2 kids and a wife, so I had to get a job to help supplement the income from my company. Gotta keep a roof over their heads and food on the table
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
DONT count money, just forget about the money. it will come.concertrate on customers, making them happy. the money will folow.
You always give great advice bohiaa. I like reading your posts.