Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

turf magazine and spanish...

i was wondering why they have to put a article in spanish and english into the magazine? I would prefer not to have the spanish one. I feel that if they are over here, they need to learn to read in english.
other than that, i feel that it is a great magazine.

I would like to see comparison of mowers on how they cut from the midwest more instead of the east coast or the south.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is america. Odd that a magazine like that will publish in a foreign language, but no advertizement for a video or cassette to learn the english language. They are just looking out for #1 I guess.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've been asked this many times. Part of the reason for running a spanish article alongside it's English counterpart is to encourage spanish employees to learn English.
If you notice, most of the articles are safety related and we feel it is important that while they are learning English, they have access to articles on safety that they can understand.

But stay tuned.....I'll forward your concerns to David and he will get back if I have mispoken the company position or if he would like to add anything.

www.gatheringofeagles.org

Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This was my main reason I had for not renewing my subscription. They're condoning what I feel is a big problem here in the U.S.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post
We've been asked this many times. Part of the reason for running a spanish article alongside it's English counterpart is to encourage spanish employees to learn English.
If you notice, most of the articles are safety related and we feel it is important that while they are learning English, they have access to articles on safety that they can understand.

But stay tuned.....I'll forward your concerns to David and he will get back if I have mispoken the company position or if he would like to add anything.
Hey how about this...the same way the immigration rush that came through Ellis Island, legally mind you, learned English...FULL IMMERSION!!! HOW will printing the same article in Espanol and English side by side encourage someone to learn English? Printing the article in Spanish is not aiding these people to learn English, it is ENABLING THEM to NOT learn it!! Oh wait, we wouldn't want to make someone feel..GASP..unCOMFORTABLE!! God forbid!! Keep it up and the foriegn language will BE English
I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kathy, I for one, am glad that Turf Magazine is publishing these articles in Spanish. The stance of providing an access to informative articles, in a language more easily understood by the reader is a great help towards bridging that same language barrier.
I know some of my crew members appreciate this feature and it is always a popular item for them.
I would, however, like to address the "immersion" point by a previous poster - as a second generation American, on my father's side, listening to the stories as recounted by my father and uncles, none of whom spoke English yet through perseverance and reading translated articles into their NATIVE language of Croatia, then reading the same information in English greatly sped their comprehension of what is considered the most difficult language in the world to learn.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with some of the previous post's in principle, but am appreciative of the safety articles posted in Spanish. Especially noteworthy was in last months issue. If it makes a person stop and think, or even saves a life, then it is truly worth it.

Like most products we use, there is usually multi-lingual instructions, or safety warnings printed on the box or manual.

Again, though I agree that persons that choose to live somewhere other than their native country should learn the language, TURF magazine has a broad readership, and therefore has to print for the benefit of the masses. Just my .02
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, America doesn't have an official language. I would love to see English made the official language of our country, but that is a discussion best held in the polital, off-topic forum.

I agree that people that choose to come to America to work, live and take advantage of all the wonderful things that make America such a great country, should learn English. We hope that these articles encourage that process as well as provide much needed safety information along the way.

I'm sad to hear that some of you don't renew your subscriptions based on one particular section of the magazine. That statement has never really made sense to me. But then, I don't suppose it has to. We offer our subscribers a tremendously informative and sometimes entertaining publication, FREE of charge, if you can't skip over the sections that you dislike, well, we are sorry to see you go, but it's probably best for both of us.

Thank you to all that can see the reasoning for our position and/or simply skip over the article if it offends you. As always, it's our readers that make our magazine the huge success that it is, and we truly appreciate your subscriptions!
(Now if you HAVEN'T renewed in the past year, please do so today! hehehe)

www.gatheringofeagles.org

Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post

Plus, the advertisers, who drive the magazine by the way, love the idea of the spanish speakers looking at their equipment.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojob View Post
This was my main reason I had for not renewing my subscription. They're condoning what I feel is a big problem here in the U.S.
I agree with you, I am contemplating on cancelling my subscription. What I cant believe is that they are now allowing businesses here in the DFW area accept pesos.
Closed Thread