Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1994 View Post
I agree with you, I am contemplating on cancelling my subscription. What I cant believe is that they are now allowing businesses here in the DFW area accept pesos.
Is that why we're seeing so many Texans moving to CO? I moved here from south FL. I lived there for 40 years and knew it was time to move when my son was one of only a few kids in his first grade class that spoke english. Makes me sick.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Group Publisher

Kathy has explained our policy on why we publish a Spanish language article.

Anyone who thinks our advertisers give a rat's @ss about whether or not we publish a Spanish article doesn't know what they're talking about. We've run this feature for several years -- a few companies have tried putting in Spanish ads; all have dropped out. Just recently, Toro has "sponsored" the article -- which essentially means that they pay for the paper and ink. There is no big profit in it.

Anyone who would actually cancel a free magazine subscription to one of the leading publications covering their profession has to be one of the most closed-minded persons on the planet. So you disagree. It's one freakin' page! Are you so afraid of those who disagree with your views -- or so angry about the fact that people might hold a different view from you -- that your solution is to SHUT OFF all exposure to any dissenting opinions? IMHO, THAT is what is primarily the most important problem facing this country today -- We have become a nation of people who sit on opposite sides of the fence on every issue, yelling and screaming at each other over the fence. If you don't like something -- if you don't get your way on every little thing -- throw a witty barb over your shoulder and walk away, comfortable and proud of your righteous indignation. All the while, we become more and more polarized over more and more issues.

I happen to agree that people who come to this country should be able to display a basic understanding and ability to communicate in English before they are allowed to become citizens. I would support such a law. But it is NOT the law. Should I simply shut my mind to anyone with an opposing view? Should I go so far as to make sure i am not even exposed to anything that might hint at disagreeing with my view? How small!

Re: "Official" Languages.
If you guys feel that strongly about having English be the official language of the United States, then do something about it. Prepare to be called all kinds of ugly names by the left, though.

There are two things you should consider that are not opinions; these are facts:
1- The percentage of (legal) Spanish-speaking immigrants who speak and read English is HIGHER than the rates of other ethnic groups who came here in the last century.
2 - There is NO official language in the U.S. Until there is, American citizens whose primary language is other than English have the right to communicate with their government in a language they understand.

I just finished writing an editorial for the next issue of TURF on the subject of immigration - legal and illegal. Watch for it. I'm sure it will piss someone off.

David C.
Exec. Editor
Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfEditor View Post
Kathy has explained our policy on why we publish a Spanish language article.

Anyone who thinks our advertisers give a rat's @ss about whether or not we publish a Spanish article doesn't know what they're talking about. We've run this feature for several years -- a few companies have tried putting in Spanish ads; all have dropped out. Just recently, Toro has "sponsored" the article -- which essentially means that they pay for the paper and ink. There is no big profit in it.

Anyone who would actually cancel a free magazine subscription to one of the leading publications covering their profession has to be one of the most closed-minded persons on the planet. So you disagree. It's one freakin' page! Are you so afraid of those who disagree with your views -- or so angry about the fact that people might hold a different view from you -- that your solution is to SHUT OFF all exposure to any dissenting opinions? IMHO, THAT is what is primarily the most important problem facing this country today -- We have become a nation of people who sit on opposite sides of the fence on every issue, yelling and screaming at each other over the fence. If you don't like something -- if you don't get your way on every little thing -- throw a witty barb over your shoulder and walk away, comfortable and proud of your righteous indignation. All the while, we become more and more polarized over more and more issues.

I happen to agree that people who come to this country should be able to display a basic understanding and ability to communicate in English before they are allowed to become citizens. I would support such a law. But it is NOT the law. Should I simply shut my mind to anyone with an opposing view? Should I go so far as to make sure i am not even exposed to anything that might hint at disagreeing with my view? How small!

Re: "Official" Languages.
If you guys feel that strongly about having English be the official language of the United States, then do something about it. Prepare to be called all kinds of ugly names by the left, though.

There are two things you should consider that are not opinions; these are facts:
1- The percentage of (legal) Spanish-speaking immigrants who speak and read English is HIGHER than the rates of other ethnic groups who came here in the last century.
2 - There is NO official language in the U.S. Until there is, American citizens whose primary language is other than English have the right to communicate with their government in a language they understand.

I just finished writing an editorial for the next issue of TURF on the subject of immigration - legal and illegal. Watch for it. I'm sure it will piss someone off.

David C.
Exec. Editor
It seems to me that you're the one doing all the yelling from your side of the fence. I simply walked away. "Prepare to be called all kinds of ugly names by the left, though". It's statements like this that gave me another reason not to renew my subscription. I didn't sign up for your mag to get a rightwing slant on the world. I'm referring to the editorial on global warming. Any farther to the right and it would be coming back around. You guys are all about big business (your advertisers). How does that help me and probably 90% of your other readers? Most of us run small "mom and pop" type outfits and we turn to your mag for info on the latest, greatest products and ways to run our businesses more effectively not to get a conservative's view on Al Gore and global warming. Your last statement says it all. I believe you want to piss people off. People with different views than yourself. I just noticed who I was writing to. You're the rightwing editor that caused me to rethink the whole "free subscription" thing. Like they say, "there's no such thing as a free lunch". To get your mag, a tree had to die. To read your mag, a reader must wade through your fertilizer. I like trees but I hate fertilizer. My reason for not renewing, in a nutshell.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 AM

We get this all the time in the local paper. People don't like some of the articles the paper prints and they just have to write in and make a big deal over cancelling. I doubt if they ever cancel. Newspapers and magazines are written for a Variety of interest. People should realize that and over look what they don't like. There are a lot of Spanish channels on Cable TV and Satellite and I doubt if people are cancelling their subscription to those outlets. This does not mean any of these outlets are promoting Spanish speaking over English. Many public service jobs prefer to hire bi linguals(Cops etc). Until state and federal laws are changed its just the nature of the beast.

Last edited by Charles; 10-04-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Group Publisher

Mojob -

Yes . . . I am the EDITOR . . . part of my job is to EDITORialize. By definition, that means I get to express my opinion. I usually use around 500 - 700 words in each issue. Surely you can handle 700 words you disagree with.

As far as me being the one shouting . . . I guess you missed all of the editorials where I let others express their views, or where I mention my respect for someone whose views I disagree with. I will discuss and debate with any person who uses proper manners.

I do not have a "right wing" attitude on global warming. I have a scientific attitude. There is much, legitimate science that shows results contrary to what the media reports (and I have had thousands of readers write to me for the source science that i used to write those editorials . . . were you one of them?). Not only is this information not reported, those who bring it up are ridiculed, marginalized, and in some cases, respected scientists have either resigned their positions or even been dismissed. I would like to know why this is. I would like to have ALL of the science presented, so that the true situation can eventually be assessed. I don't see why this is "right" or "left5" wing.

As far as Al Gore is concerned, the man is a liar and too much in love with his own "celebrity." There are so many inaccuracies, misrepresentations, omittions and downright lies in his book/movie, it is no wonder that he is mostly listened to by the Hollywood crowd. Again . . . this is not a "right wing" opinion. It is simply an observation of fact. (You want an example? Go try to find the island he talks about where the islanders had to move because of rising ocean levels. You won't, because it doesn't exist.)

I have no problem with you for holding your opinions, as long as you treat people with opposing views with respect. Why is it that I should not be allowed the same courtesy?

DC
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

What

Ok, Items Are Printed On Boxes In Diffrent Languages Beacuse Those Items Are Usen In Fiffrent Country's...if Turf Wants To Go Spanish Thats Fine But Send The Magazine To Mexico. There Taking Enough Of The Work Here Already And They Cant Even Speak Our Language, Its Not Our Job To Learn Theres..this Is Our Amercia Plain And Simple. If Its A Safty Issue..then They Should Not Be Employed By You In The First Place But Thats Your Choice. Do U Think For One Second If We Hooped The Fence And Went To Mexico To Get A Job...they Are Going To Train Us In English.......not!!! Have You Been To Mexico..there Is Not One Thing In English..not One, So Give Us A Break And Lets Get Real
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviswalker007 View Post
Ok, Items Are Printed On Boxes In Diffrent Languages Beacuse Those Items Are Usen In Fiffrent Country's...if Turf Wants To Go Spanish Thats Fine But Send The Magazine To Mexico. There Taking Enough Of The Work Here Already And They Cant Even Speak Our Language, Its Not Our Job To Learn Theres..this Is Our Amercia Plain And Simple. If Its A Safty Issue..then They Should Not Be Employed By You In The First Place But Thats Your Choice. Do U Think For One Second If We Hooped The Fence And Went To Mexico To Get A Job...they Are Going To Train Us In English.......not!!! Have You Been To Mexico..there Is Not One Thing In English..not One, So Give Us A Break And Lets Get Real
What language is this written in?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

spanglish bob.....spanglish...get use to it!!!! lol
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviswalker007 View Post
WOW. I guess that just about says it all.

www.gatheringofeagles.org

Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a couple guys who are not completely fluent in english yet. I love giving them the article to read in spanish and english...I dont know which one they read more but any helpful information i can get to them no matter what language its in is good for me